Forty-Four

*SIX MONTHS LATER*

ETHAN

Life as a human is a lot more simpler than what I was shown in that hospital. Granted, it still took a while for me to get used to the fact that I don't have to cough up the food that I swallow, but it feels good to be eating regular human food and just being human. No need to worry about the smell of human flesh and my mouth watering. The only thing that makes my mouth water is the scent of pizza whenever I am starving.
But even though I'm living a better life as a human, there's still this feeling of guilt deep down in my gut that I don't deserve this. I technically took away Tyler's human life and he lived what was left of his life as a ghoul. Mark, Amy and Kathryn all try and tell me that it wasn't my fault, and that Tyler wanted what was best for me, but I know deep down they miss him, and that I took him away from them and that will never escape my mind.

Mark, Amy and Kathryn finally decided to end ghoul hunting. I can't believe it took them so long for them to finally get rid of their stuff. We spent an entire day disposing all of the weapons, which will probably leave everybody around us wanting to call the cops on us. Thankfully, that hasn't happened yet.

Living a normal life doesn't seem to be working out for them either. They've spent their entire lives hunting ghouls, only for their friends to become ghouls themselves in the end of it all. I guess we've all got stuff to get used to.

But even though I've been loving being with Kathryn, Amy and Mark. I knew I couldn't stay here after everything that has happened. I didn't want to put them at risk anymore, even though I was human. I also didn't want to put myself back at risk again either.

So after waking up this morning, I got up, made my bed, took out my bags from my closet, packed my things and began heading out.

As I headed out the door, I noticed Chica walking over to me, wagging her tail, a ball in her hand. She's finally warmed up to me now after all this time. She's such a good doggo. I was definitely going to miss her as well.

I took the ball from her mouth and threw it down the hall. I watched as she charged down the hallway to get the ball. I smiled, taking one last look around the house before leaving.

It's now time to wipe the slate clean one last time and live my new life as a human being.

MARK

I woke up to a knock on the door and the door swinging open.

"Mark! Ethan is gone!" Amy shouted.

I moaned as I was still waking up, but then quickly sat up as what she had told me kept repeating in my head. Ethan's gone.

I quickly got out of bed and headed downstairs.

"Did you guys try calling him?" I asked.
"We tried! No ones answering!" Kathryn exclaimed.
"I swear, if somebody took him again, we've got nothing!" Amy said.

As I ran back upstairs, I went into the room he stayed in before. I noticed an envelope on the nightstand that looks like it didn't belong there. I picked it up, noticing our names on the back.

I quickly brought it downstairs.

"This has our names on it." I said.
"Well open it!" Kathryn said.

I quickly opened the envelope, which held a letter inside of it. We unfolded the letter and read it.

Hey guys,

I've decided after almost a few years, and one hell of a nightmare-ish adventure, to go back home where I feel like I truly belong. I originally left Maine because I was scared of my past. But after the experiences I've had with you guys and Tyler, I feel like I am more than capable of going back home and being on my own.  Thank you guys for everything. If it weren't for you guys, I would have never discovered who I was, both as a ghoul and as a human. (Although I never realized I would eventually become human). Take care of yourselves, take care of Chica, and let's both keep an eye on Tyler.

Love,
Ethan

The three of us looked at each other.

"I can't believe he actually left us." Amy said.
"He should have at least given us a warning." Kathryn said.
I shook my head, "No... we wouldn't have let him."
"Well... I hope he's going to be okay." Amy said.

I looked over the letter again. I then looked over at them.

"Yeah... he will be."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HEY GUYS!!!

Sadly, this is the end of my story! I'm sorry it took so long for me to actually finish! I've been really busy! I hope you guys enjoyed this story as much as I enjoyed making it! Be sure to check out some of my other stories as well if you haven't already! :)

~Jackir30