Chapter 25: The Obstacle Course Race

Ding

Ding

Ding

"Begin!!!"

Everyone surged forward through the gate. Getting through the narrow entrance was the first obstacle to face. Seconds after beginning, you feel ice begin to form on the ground. Before it can trap you, you jump up and over the people ahead of you with a blast of ice. 

"Hey come on Todoroki! You're going to make us ice users look bad!" You call to the boy who had already taken the lead.

"You're too predictable!!" Called Bakugou from beside you. "I ain't letting you get ahead that easily!" He and the others from your class had all managed to get past his trap.

You followed close behind Todoroki thanks to your quick thinking, and created an ice path to skate on. After all, it was much faster than running. When you turned the corner, a blast shot at you. 

Narrowly dodging it, you yell "Hey!" and look ahead. The robots from the entrance exam were waiting for you. It wasn't just the small ones, though. You look up and find yourself staring at a wall of zero pointers beside Todoroki.

"So these are the faux villains you guys had to fight for your test?" Todoroki asks. Without wasting another moment, he freezes them.

"He froze them! Now we can slip through the gaps!" Someone shouts.

"Bad idea. I froze them in pretty unstable positions."

"1-A's Todoroki!!! Bursting through to take the lead and sabotaging the others all in one move! This guy's cold!!!" Present Mic announces.

"Everyone get back!!" You yell. "They're going to fall!!"

As the robots creak and begin to come down above you, you freeze them once more. With your added ice they didn't crash down on anybody. Unfortunately for everyone else, however, you had filled all but one of the gaps.

"Sorry guys, but I can't afford to be too nice." You say before leaping through. Once you do, the gap freezes over leaving no holes to sneak through. Anyone wanting to get past this point would have to climb over or cut through.

"And 1-A's Y/n catches all of the zero pointers before they can fall!! Don't let this nice act fool you, though, she froze the robots into one big wall of ice and metal leaving everyone else stuck behind as she closes in on Todoroki! Looks like these two ice users have one thing in common—they're cold!!"

Hey...! I'm not cold! I'm just not about to get rid of such a great opportunity to get ahead!

"Incredible!! They've completely cut away from the competition! It almost seems unfair!!! But, you know the rules—anything's fair as long as our contestants stay in bounds. It's a harsh game of chicken! And all of the action is brought to you by these camera robots at each location!"

You chased Todoroki down the path. You ran instead of skating because you had already used up more water than you though you would have. As you gain on him, Present Mic announces that Bakugou was third to make it over the robots and was on his way. No time to wait, then.

"Holy crap!!" You yell as you almost fly off of a cliff. Todoroki skidded to halt beside you. Tightropes connected the raised cliff-like sections of land with giant holes below.

"Tch, too easy." Todoroki said before freezing the rope in front of him and sliding across.

"You're a lot more serious when we're competing, huh, Todoroki?" You call as you chase him. 

The two of you make quick work of the ropes by freezing them over and running across.

Just as you were both finishing, an angry voice calls from behind you followed by an explosion.