Chapter 22

Irisu walked across the garden deep in thought. She had fetched her sketch pad and a pen and was planning on drawing up a good matchup for the duello. But in her heart she just wanted a random matchup.

Jolly will kill me if I suggest that....

She walked over to a tree and plopped down with a sigh. She suddenly had a strange feeling that someone was watching her. She twisted around and saw a young man staring at her from the other side.

For a second she was startled but then she quickly composed herself.

"Hello! I'm Irisu. You are?"
"Jacob" Came the reply after a long pause.

Sumire's secret discovery.....

Irisu moved and sat closer to Jacob.

"Aren't you feeling lonely here?"

Jacob just stared back expressionlessly.

Irisu flipped to a new page in her pad and started to sketch.

"You host an arcana too don't you? Sumire kept saying that we weren't to disturb you but being here alone isn't any fun right? "

Irisu didn't have to look at him to realise he didn't care. She could feel a sort of coldness from him. This lack of emotion was usually what people mistook for arrogance or cruelty. But Irisu continued talking like it didn't bother her at all.

Why does this seem so familiar....... Wait.... Like talking to Jolly!!

Irisu looked back at Jacob. He was still staring back silently. Unlike Jolly, he didn't even seem to want to snap back.

"What do you think?" She said holding up the pad.

She had drawn a quick sketch of the view in front of them.

Jacob looked at the page but said nothing.

Annoying.......

"Hey! You can talk ok! I won't bite! "

I'll only skewer you with my sword if you piss me off too much.........

Jacob looked down thoughtfully in silence for a moment.

"Mama said...... To stay away... from the others "

It almost seemed like he was putting a lot of effort into just saying this.

"Well I'm Mama's sister! So feel free to talk to me! "

For a second Irisu thought she saw what looked like sceptism flash across his face. But then he went back to gazing dully at her.

"I don't look much like her do I? That's because I'm her younger sister. And younger sisters do everything they can to not end up like their annoying older sisters."

Even as she was chatting she was flipping through the pages looking for a picture. She finally found it and held it back up for him to see.

"What do you think of this one? "

It was a portrait of Mama. Irisu had no idea what had possessed her to draw this in the first place.

Jacob looked at it quietly.

"It looks like Mama. " He said finally.

"Because it is Mama" Replied Irisu flatly.

Suddenly Irisu heard some shouting in the distance. It sounded like one of the guards and she could also hear a woman shouting.

Jacob suddenly stood up. Without turning back he started to walk towards the house.

"Hey! Where are you going? It's probably a visitor for Papa. You don't have to leave! "

The shouts and screams intensified.

What on earth is that guard doing......

"Mama said to stay inside..... " Jacob said awkwardly avoiding her gaze. Then he turned around and ran.

"LET GO OF ME!!!! "

Irisu got up. She knew it would look bad if she still chose to ignore whatever fight was happening there.

She ran towards the front gate and saw a woman struggling with the guard.

"You may leave her... Um.. Leo right? "

The guard turned around and nodded.

"She was trespassing on the grounds Miss Irisu-"

"Yes, I'll handle that."

Leo backed off with a nod. He then walked towards the house.

"I'm sorry for the guard's behaviour but please understand our need for this security, Miss....? "

"Jacalyn.... Please I don't want any trouble. I just want to see my son. "

"Um... I don't think your son is here Madam but if he wandered in I can search for him. "

"No! He's not lost. He was brought here. Please.... " The woman suddenly came forward and grabbed Irisu's hands. Irisu tried to jerk back but her hold was stronger than she had expected.

"Please.... I just want to see him. He's my son. I shouldn't..... I shouldn't have let him go. Please!! "

"Um... Please let go or I'll have to call the guards! " Said Irisu as she tried to free herself.

"Please!! Don't take him from me! He's all I have! "

"I did no such thing lady! Calm down! "

Irisu wrenched free and pushed her away. Jacalyn was sobbing loudly now and it was making Irisu feel uncomfortable. Suddenly Irisu had an unpleasant thought.

"Tell me his name and I'll help you. " She asked trying to hide her irritation.

Jacalyn was about to speak when-

"You may go now Irisu. I'll talk to her. "

Irisu turned to find Sumire standing there.

"Why are you here, Sumire? " Asked Irisu coldly.
"She's my visitor. I'll handle it. Leave now. "

Irisu looked back at the poor woman. She didn't want to leave her with Sumire because she had a feeling she understood what was happening here. But defying Sumire in front of a stranger was not good either.

"We will talk about this later. " Said Irisu in a low voice as she passed Sumire.

After she left, Sumire turned to Jacalyn.

"You are here to see your son right? Well I'm here to pass along a message from him. Jacob does not want to see you ever again. So I suggest you leave. Now. "