Chapter 3

A dark building in the middle of nowhere

"What is this place, Jolly?" Asked Irisu quietly.

His lack of response confirmed her belief that he knew exactly what it was and was just hiding it.

They were standing in the front corridor when the door at the other end opened and an old man came out.

"You told me you have something?" Asked Jolly.
The man peered at Jolly closely then suddenly with an understanding look he nodded and went back in.

Irisu could hear the faint sound of children from inside- many small children.

A faded plaque on the wall caught her eye. The letters were mostly missing but she could make out one word- Orphanage.

Irisu said nothing. She knew that there were parts of Jolly's life she didn't know. The parts she had missed when she had left long back. Parts she wouldn't like about him.

The old man returned then but this time pulling along a young girl. She was probably 10 or 11 with short hair and she was hiding behind him with a scared look.

"Go on!" He said roughly, pushing her towards Jolly.
Jolly looked at the girl for half a second. Then he looked back at the old man.
"Name?"
"Lucia" he replied gruffly.

Jolly then knelt next to the girl.
"Lucia isn't it? I'm Jolly. I have heard some interesting things about you."

The girl still looked scared but she was staring right back at him with her big eyes.
"What do you want with me Jolly?"
"Sir to you brat!" Shouted the old man raising his hands as if to strike her.
"Thank you for your assistance. Please leave." Said Irisu coldly.
The old man hesitated for a second but seeing her expression and the sword at her side, he left giving one last look at Jolly.

"Is it alright if I take off your shoes for a second Lucia?"

Jolly didn't wait for the girl to reply. He tugged at the worn shoe she was wearing on her left and the girl lifted her leg up to let him remove it.

Irisu stood behind him silently. She saw Jolly looking at the girl's ankle carefully.

"Would you like to come with me Lucia?"
"Where?"

Jolly ran his fngers over her ankle. It was very faint but it was there. He hoped he wasn't imagining it. From the clues he had gathered the girl had to be a host but he could feel absolutely nothing.

"To my home. Where... you can help me. I'll teach you whatever you want and... you can make more friends there."

Jolly stood up and looked down at her waiting for a reply.

Lucia put her shoes back on and looked at both of them.
"I don't have any friends here."

Before Jolly could say anything Irisu went forward and patted the girl on the head.

"Don't worry! You will have lot of friends there and... it will be a better place than this."

She smiled at the girl and then gave Jolly a piercing stare. Lucia was deep in thought for a second. Then she broke into a happy laugh "Ok Miss I'll come!"
"Call me Irisu, Lucia!"
"Ok Aunty Irisu"

Irisu seemed delighted by this cute girl but inside she was burning with anger at Jolly. To have kept captive such a young girl for who knows what purpose... It made her extremely violent at the moment.

"Then that's settled. Go collect your things." Said Jolly.

"I don't have any things." The girl replied seriously. Then she smiled and clapped her hands. "Let's go!"

The two adults were taken aback by her enthusiasm but Jolly nodded and said "Irisu wait here with her. I'll go in and... settle things."
"Whatever you say.... darling."

Her tone sent a chill down Jolly's spine. He had known that it would be a mistake to bring her here, but he had no choice then. He just hoped she would forgive him later.

Irisu stayed in the corridor talking to Lucia who after her initial shyness was now chatting happily. Jolly returned after some time and the three of them walked out.

"I do not approve of this alright."

Jolly didn't reply. If it had been anyone else he would have said that he didn't give a damn about their approval. But an annoyed Irisu with a sword was not something to be trifled with.

"I don't know all the things you do Jolly and I haven't asked so far. Not because I trust you but because I don't want to know. But don't take that as a sign of me agreeing with your.... morals."

Jolly stayed silent. He knew she was keeping the language clean only because of Lucia.

"I'm sorry."

Irisu gave him a killer stare which he quickly avoided. As long as Lucia was between the two of them, Irisu wouldn't strangle him.

They got back to the place where they were staying and Jolly found a message waiting for him.

"Irisu... Take Lucia and go back to Regalo."

"Where are you going?"

"Felicita and the other two met with success in England and found one host. They are now in Ireland following a lead of mine. They are finding it difficult to manage there and so it's better I go there to speed up the search."

And I don't have to talk to Irisu on the way back

"Ok... I go straight back?"
"Yes. Also you will be there right in time to guide Sherlene when she arrives."

Irisu stuck her tongue out when she heard the woman's name.

Jolly patted Lucia in the head.

"Be good and listen to Irisu. Is that clear, Lucia?"

The girl nodded back vigorously.

"Alright... Then I'll take my leave now."

Jolly picked up his bag which was still unpacked and headed for the door.

"And Jolly.... We are still not done."

Jolly sighed. Then with a quick nod he left. He knew they would be done only if Irisu was done with it.

3 down.... Assuming that my guess about Lucia is right and she actually hosts The High Priestess....