Chapter 21

"And I can't join right?" Asked Irisu again as she leaned forward to see what Dante was showing the others.

Everyone had assembled at the colosseum like structure reserved for the duel. Dante had put up an assortment of weapons on display and everyone was rummaging around curiously trying to find a suitable weapon.

Irisu and Jolly were standing higher up among the seats. Jolly lit another cigar.

"No you can't." He said.

"Ok... It would have been different if I had..."

Jolly didn't argue with that. Even without using her arcana her combat skills were on a different level. A much higher level compared to him anyway.

"We should try to study then as much as we can" Said Jolly.
"Wow! You are taking this seriously! "
"No. But when Papa asks what I have discovered about their powers I need to have answers. I don't want to do this again. "

"We will make up rules on the go." Said Irisu suddenly.
"What?! "
"That way we can make those whom we want to study better fight more. "

Jolly didn't reply. Even he hadn't thought so far.

"Would that kind of rule work? " He asked after a pause.

"Who cares? They won't argue with the rule master!" Said Irisu without even looking at him.

Jolly suppressed a smile. She was truly wicked sometimes. He could see that she was interested in some particular people but she wasn't going to tell him directly. This kind of "no-rules" event could cause trouble but as Irisu said all arguments could be ignored.

"Who do you think will win?" He asked casually leaning next to her.
"I'll tell once it starts."
"Who are you looking at now? "
"Him"

Irisu pointed towards the lone figure standing aside and not picking up any weapon.

Cecil.

"He doesn't seem interested. " Said Jolly looking down.

"They are not stupid to fight all out. That will be a problem, Jolly."

"What do you suggest? "

"Force them to try harder. That means give them opponents they will actually want to beat. "

"I doubt all of them will be roused by such passions. "

"Not passion. You show someone strong how much stronger another person is they will find the drive to fight harder. That's how it works. In any case make the best fight the best. That will make our work easier. "

Jolly fell quiet.

"You have such a cold outlook on life. " He said finally.

"Ha!" Irisu whirled around and kissed him. "I'm trying to keep things moving that's all!! "

"You will frame the rules then? "

"Yep! Leave it to me!" She said with a smile walking away.
"Where are you going? "
"It's boring to see others getting ready for a fight. I'll be around! "

Jolly continued his observation of the participants. He noted how most of them didn't seem keen on any weapons at all though they were studying the variety of equipment on offer.

They are all confident in their arcana... That is both an advantage and a disadvantage...

"Hey Cecil! Try these out! " Shouted Debito waving a sword. Cecil gave an awkward smile.

"It's fine. Anything will be ok for me. "
"We won't go easy on you! So choose your stuff well" Said Pace with a grin.

Cecil opened his mouth to say something but suddenly got a coughing fit.

"Cecil!!" Yukino made to move forward but Mikino grabbed her by her hand.

"Hey chickpea if we fight again I'm gonna go all out, so I'll win the duel this time!" Shouted Liberta.
"If we fight again, I want us to finish it properly." Said Nova with a sigh.

"Hey Cecil! Don't stand there like that!" Shouted Debito again feeling a bit annoyed. He was finding the guy too nice. There was nothing wrong with that normlly but in a battle royale that had no value.

"Let him be!" Said Yukino suddenly.
"Huh? What do you mean? " Asked Luca.
"He doesn't have to fight if he doesn't want to!" She shouted back.
"Everyone has to fight! That's the rule, little lady!" Said Debito with a laugh.
"But... "

"It's fine Yukino." Cecil interrupted them as he walked over. Yukino started to say something but Cecil silenced her with a wave.

"It's fine! I'm fighting! Don't worry about that Debito! It's just... I'm not... used to weapons. So I'll wait a bit before deciding on that. "

"Oh! That's fine! We can help you out with that!" Said Pace with a smile.

"I'm good!" Replied Cecil "I don't.... want anyone to get hurt so let me see what I want...."

"That's some confidence! " Said Debito with a laugh as he slapped Cecil on the back. "Like Papa said the only reward is to know who is the best.... It's not as good as Bambina but I won't be slacking off either!"

"Debito!!" Luca screamed even as the others started laughing.

Cecil flinched slightly. The talk around him was fading away. All he could finally hear was one voice in his mind.

To win.... To be the best........