𝐱𝐢.

tuesday | june 8th, 2021 | 05:54am

"dude" i heard being whispered in my ear for the third time

i groaned as i turned over to see the dude from last night with a pillow covering his head as he tried to concentrate on sleeping.

"get your phone" he whispered

i reached over to my nightstand for my phone and seen i had gotten a few missed calls from a random number. i went to the voicemail and clicked on the most recent message from the number.

"good morning asaad, sorry to call this early, once again if you hear this message i'm just calling to let you know that cato and i won't be in the office today. there was an incident last night, he's currently recovering at the hospital, i'll get back to you later with details" sharron's voice played through the speaker

hospital?

i immediately sat up and played the message again to make sure i heard it right. something happened to my—employee?

it wasn't long before i was dressed and out the door, headed to the hospital sharron mentioned in one of the other voicemails she left. i made sure to leave some cash behind for whoever that was in my bed to catch a ride home. there's nothing worth stealing in there so i should be good.

my mind was in overdrive thinking of different scenarios of what could've happened. it sucks not knowing because your mind jumps to the greatest conclusions. for all i know he could've just had an allergic reaction. yet in my mind he got shot, or was in a car accident, some bullshit.

"i'm looking for cato bryde" i said anxiously to the receptionist once i got to the front desk of the hospital

"relationship" she asked sternly

"friend"

"i'm sorry sir only—"

"...boyfriend...i'm his boy..boyfriend" i tried

outta all of the shit i could've thought of, cousin, brother, priest. of course that had to be the first to come to mind. i mean...

she lowered her glasses a bit then started to size me up before turning to her computer. she knew damn well i was cappin' but after a few seconds she gave me a room number and directions on where to go.

i felt my heart racing as i walked down the hall to his room. it was almost as if i was waiting to find out if the kid were mine or not. maury dragging out the results.

as i neared the room i seen sharron standing outside on the phone. she was actually just ending the conversation as i approached her.

"sharron" i called getting her attention

she looked up and at me surprised.

"sir? what're you doing here?"

i could ask myself the same shit.