𝐢.

tuesday | may 25th, 2021 | 1:31pm

"it's your senior year of high school and i'm still getting calls to come pick you up from school? cato i thought we were past this? fighting? getting suspended?"

"he was disrespecting me. i ain't boutta let that ni—him disrespect me" i knew better than to say nigga in front of her

"i don't care! you've been suspended so many times he almost expelled you. if it wasn't that you're graduating in less than a month he probably would've. i had to beg him not to take prom away from you because we already paid hundreds for your suit. i don't have time for this cato. you're going to college in a few months. it's time for you to grow the hell up!"

"okay but did you really have to bring me to your job though?" i asked looking out of the window at the garage of her workplace

"well i can't trust that i'll come home and some girl won't be up in your bed, or you not smoking weed with your little friend samir, or—"

"i get it, i can't be trusted" i said before getting out and slamming the door shut

she didn't even bother acknowledging it. she got out of the car then led the way into the building. my mom works at this investment bank place or something doing with finance. i don't really know the specifics. all i know is that the ceo is in his early twenties. i know this because my mom loves to bring him up all the time and tell me i should aspire to be more like him. i'm sure he's some white guy who inherited the company through his dad who also got it from his dad and so on. my black ass on the other hand don't got a dad to give me shit so i gotta get it however way i can.

we rode the elevator all the way to the top floor. my mom works closely with the ceo and the whole board. i think she's a part of the board now actually. i don't really pay attention when she talks about it to be honest.

as we were walking to her office we noticed a man standing right outside her door.

"asaad" my mom called out as we got closer to her office

the guy looked up from his phone and to my mom. his eyes met mine for a brief second before focusing back to her.

"sharron..." he said looking confused—i'm guessing by my presence

"this is my son, the one i'm always telling you about, cato. cato this is the ceo, asaad"

he held out his hand for me to shake but i just nodded my head at him and looked away.

"okay, uh..anyways. sharron i'm going to need you to fill in for me at the meeting with seth in...half an hour" he said looking at the rolex on his wrist  "this will brief you on exactly what you need to know"

he handed my mom a file he was holding. she opened it and skimmed through it real quick before closing it.

"sure thing. in the meantime why don't you show cato here what it is that you do. he can benefit from gaining some kind of knowledge"