63

"Please...help me."

She looks defeated, tired and sleepy. But none of that matters.

It surprises me that the one thing she doesn't look is scared.

"Who are you?" I ask, my voice way more commanding than I thought possible.

She swallowed hard. "My name is Alina Novak. My father is Jason Novak. I...I need to see him."

She was talking right at me, surprisingly easy. She looked at ease, completely calm and ready.

"Let her in," I said. When no one made a move to follow my order, I looked to the guard on the right. "Do you not speak English?"

He cleared his throat. "Miss, we can't just let— "

"Let. Her. In. I'm calling Lorenzo now. I'm sure he'd love to speak to this girl."

He nodded and ordered the guards to let her in. When she walked inside, I turned to him. "Don't let her out of your sight for a single second. I want the best men watching her, got it? And don't offer her any food, water or anything for the matter. I want you to tell me how she behaves."

Something was off about her.

He nodded. "Talk to your father."

"I will. Go and keep watch."

When he left, I made a beeline for the office. Everyone was still inside. They all looked over when they saw me.

"Does Jason have a daughter?" I blurted out.

Lorenzo frowned, "what?"

"There is a girl in the house; clothes dirty, bloody and ripped. She looks like she just crawled out of hell. She's claiming to be Jason's daughter."

Lorenzo stood up immediately. "In the house? Why is there— did you let her in?"

I nodded. "Yes."

"Why would you do that? Jason has never mentioned a child to me!"

"Doesn't mean he doesn't have one. She looks an awful lot like him. Besides, her appearance is freaking me out, Dad. She looks like she's been subject to torture. Lot's of that going around these days."

He seemed to think about it, then nodded. "Okay. I'll talk to her. Let me call Jason first."

"No!" I said. "You talk to her. Let Elijah call Jason and tell him that his daughter is here. Her name is Alina."

He walked around to me and in a whisper asked, "you know something I don't?"

I shook my head, "I have a theory. A bad one. Please just talk to her. Trust me."

He hesitated for a second, then nodded. "Tell me everything later. Okay?"

"Yes."

"In the meantime, I want you all out of sight. To your rooms. Now."

When he left the room, I didn't waste time, I left as quickly as I could. I didn't stop until I felt someone grabbed my elbow and turn me around.

"Hey, stop. What's going on, nena?" Nicolas was staring back at me, a frown etched on his face.

I shook my head, "I'm just tired of this. I want it to be over."

He sighed and pulled me to him. "Come on. Let's wait it out for while until Lorenzo finds out what's going on. Yeah?"

I nodded, "guess so."

We want back to my room and laid on the bed for a while. He rubbed my back as I laid there thinking.