Chapter Thirty-Two: So much for Prince Charming

Start from the beginning

"Look, fresh meat!"

"They must be from the Lunae Lux court. I can smell the moon coming out of her!"

"Don't look so tough, do they?"

"Bet I could slit the big guy's throat in a moment."

"They smell human!"

I bit my tongue and held back the bile burning at the back of my throat. I blinked away the shadows to see cages, bars of iron, faeries screaming, and shadows shimmering like they were dancing. A god awful smell of school bathrooms and vampires' rotting bodies hung in the air. 

A woman's scream made me stop. 

"Matty!" Lowell hissed. 

I looked into one of the cages and blinked. A woman, a human woman, crawled over to the bars of the cell. She wore what looked like to be a nice business suit. Tangled mess of brown hair fell over her face, but I still saw the outline of her mouth. She had chewed her lips raw with yellow fangs coming out of her mouth. 

"I wouldn't get too close to her," Unicorn said. "That's one of the prince's experiments." 

"Experiments?" I said. 

He nodded and yanked on the rope, making us move. We reached the end of the hallway where Unicorn threw us in different cells. He released the fire cuffs off of us and sat outside the cells, humming something. I saw my dagger at his hip.

"Matty, how are you feeling?" I heard Lowell call out. I realized Lowell hadn't figured out that the woman was human. 

"Okay."

I guess he knew my insides might not be doing so hot right now. I sat with my back pressed to the corner. There was a small slit in the stone wall. My heart pounded in my ribs and I bit back the fear. Ignore the panic.

I put my hands over my head and shut my eyes tightly.

"I want to eat them! Let me have a bite! A bite!"

Think, think, think!

The screams of the woman grew louder. 

I got up to my feet and tried to see out the window. Yup, looks like we were floating. Castles in the sky and all that shit. Escaping seemed difficult before. I sat down and closed my eyes. Think, think, think.

The bars are made of iron to keep faeries in, but iron didn't burn my skin or make me sick, though the bars are too close together for me to slip through. If the bars are made of iron, it's a good bet that these faeries use iron in their weapons. As long as it doesn't have a sharp point, it won't hurt Lowell and I. Well, if it's a club then we might be screwed. Unicorn boy probably has to open the door to give us food. He may have fire, but he's about my size so I could take him down.

Not sure how strong he is. And I doubted that he was the only one down here to guard us.

Damn.

I leaned my head back and closed my eyes.

It wasn't really sleeping. I was just resting. I constantly knew where I was and heard every scream, every hiss, and every clink.

Drake came into my mind. He smelled heavily of sweat and smoke. He looked down at me, giving me the small pleasant smile he rarely wore. He leaned down close to my mouth and grabbed my chin.

Are you looking for me? Are you okay? I wanted to grab him and hug him tightly, tell him that I'm scared and that I care about him. I wanted to hug him as hard as I could and tell him that it was going to be okay.