Chapter Sixteen: Sleeping Beauty's Thorn

"Matty."

Huh?

"Matty, you need to wake up."

I reached out into the darkness and touched what felt like cold glass. My reflection appeared in front of me, but it wasn't exactly my reflection. It was me, but it was a me without the scars. I looked normal.

"You need to wake up!"

The image shatters and the glass ripped into my skin. 

My eyes open. 

I pulled back, shutting my eyes tightly when I hear a prince ask, "Why are you crying?"

I open my eyes and see a little girl. She's curled up on the ground with her hands over her ears. Her blonde hair fell into her eyes.

"Mommy wants me to take medicine that makes me hurt." The little girl breaks down, pulling her knees to her chest. She can't be more than eight.

"You told her about me, didn't you?" The man in armor sits down and scoops the little girl into his arms and curls around her in a protective ball.

"You make me happy! I wanted to tell mommy about you and..."

She breaks down again and her tears go unheard to anyone except for the prince.

The man turned to look at me.

"Erasmus!" I yelled.

"Wake up, Matty!" Erasmus shouts at me. 

My eyes opened, blinking away the blurs and the fuzziness. Something warm curled up next to me as I looked around the room. A little girl with heavy brown curls is next to me.

Huh?

I looked around to see that we were in a room that was dark with arches like a church, but roots hung down, sometimes breaking the arches and the dim lights made shadows on the walls. Chains hung on the wall, clinging to little glass bowls that held a orange, yellow fire with flicks of blue and purple at the tip. There was a long hallway that led to a large wooden door that the little bowls of light led to. I saw paintings on the wall that reminded me of the pictures of Roman murals . The little girl radiated warmth as she curled tighter into the corner of the room.

Drake? Keeva? Where are they?

What was with the little girl? 

I tried to pick up the girl as she murmured, "Mommy, I wanna sleep some more."

"Sorry sweetie, but you got to get up." I whispered to her as I offered my back to the little girl.

The little girl blinked a few times before rubbing her eyes and whimpering, "Who are you?"

Geeze, even my scars make little girls cry. I tried not to cringe.

"I'm...I'm Matty. How did you get down here?" 

The little girl tilted her head. "I was in the park, I remember that." 

I nodded. The little girl is eying me. 

"And then I heard a song..." 

I nodded. "Your mommy told me to come get you. I'll carry you," I said as she crawled on my back. At least she couldn't tell I was lying. I got up and the little girl tightened her grip on my neck as I walked down the hall.