Chapter 5

Previously on Wonder:

He scoffed and then gave me a sinister smirk. He inserted his left thumb into his pocket, relaxed his shoulders and said, "I have something for you, will you accept it?"

I try to ease your pain
Like smoke, like white smoke
I say that I'm gonna erase you
But I can't really let you go yet

Christian grinned and clicked his fingers. One of his bodyguards came jogging towards us, holding a small white box that was wrapped with a glossy golden ribbon. I raised my eyebrow, curious about what he was going to give me. I lifted my head up slightly, with my arms crossed I asked bluntly, "what is it?"

The bodyguard gave the box to Christian. He peeked inside the box, smirked and then passed it to me.

"For you my lady," he said. I rolled my eyes, took the box and opened it.

I sighed, looking at the contents of the box and sarcastically said, "wow another invitation to one of your grand parties, how exciting". The box contained white roses and small diamonds decorated around with a card centered in the middle, there was intricate gold paint on the petals which gave off a soft floral scent.

Christian started laughing and replied, "yup, but this time it's my sister's birthday and she wishes you to come to celebrate it".

"Oh, okay. I'll have to see. When is it again?" I tried to look back at the card but he quickly replied, "its two weeks from now, better start preparing for it. Get your masks ready, because this time it's going to be a glorious masquerade party that I'm planning".

"Well, it doesn't sound too bad", I replied trying to hold my excitement since I have never been and always wanted to go to a masquerade party.

"Also, this time parents and underaged kids are not allowed, but you can invite whoever you want. I have already mentioned this to your mother, and she wants you to come", once he said that I knew I couldn't go alone. My parents were always my safeguards when it came to occasions like this, now that I can't have them there, I needed to invite Hyun Ae.

He left, walking away with his bodyguard. I turned back to look at the card, I tried to read it once again, but it was snatched off my hand.

"What is this? An invitation and who is that guy? Is he your boyfriend?" Taehyung came and abruptly asked these questions in a rush, what stuck with me was 'your boyfriend'.

Just as I was about to answer him, I questioned myself on why he was acting like this? He was standing one foot away from me, and I saw his eyes become narrow, cold and full of fury. His hard stare was piercing through my skin as if brutally tearing me down. I felt as if I betrayed him for something and became fearful.

He uttered, "why aren't you answering me?" He avoided yelling at me in front of everyone and grabbed my elbow tightly to make me focus on him.

I tried to avoid his furious eyes and looked around and saw that everyone else was busy doing their jobs, no one was concentrating on what was happening here. I looked back at him with widened eyes, his lethal glare frightened me, it made my heart race.

He pulled me closer towards his chest and slightly shouted, "Tell me!".

I didn't want to fear him, so I hoisted myself up and replied, "what the hell are you doing. He is not my boyfriend okay, he is just a family friend, let me go!" I ended up lying to him.

Before I could erupt, I shoved his arm away, snatched the card, grabbed the box and started speed walking away from him, leaving him in his tempered state. He looked up towards me, and I knew he was clenching his teeth with his mouth closed, this made his jawline more defined.