Chapter 2

Previously on Wonder:

Taehyung snatches the mic off Jungkook and moves closer towards me to mockingly whisper, "good luck".

I wanna be close to your heart
It's a scene that I only saw in dreams
So just take me to where you are

Y/N POV

Taehyung held the microphone in front of my face. I gulped nervously before standing up and taking the microphone off him. As I walked across from my desk and stood in front of the class, the rest of the students hurriedly sat back on their seats since Min Yoongi told them if they don't he will make them dance next to me as I sang.

Taehyung sat on the middle chair in the second row, while the rest of the boys followed and sat next to him. He crossed his legs and held his hands behind his head in a resting position, smiling through his action.

Namjoon was sitting on top of a desk, moving his lollipop towards his left cheek, he positioned his arms and started to record me on his phone. He looked at me and said, "start whenever you're ready".

I was confused and asked without using the mic, "what do you want me to sing? A nursery rhyme?"

Taehyung started laughing, "a nursery rhyme? No wonder you study 24/7 and only remember children's songs from kindergarten". Everyone in the class also started laughing, and I felt ashamed for not being able to fight back and defend myself.

I started thinking, trying to remember one song that won't embarrass me for the rest of my life.

I nearly started to panic until I quickly remembered a song my father sang a few months ago. He sang an acoustic version of a song to my mother on their anniversary party, it was a memorable moment for me and I cried during the occasion. My father wore a black tuxedo with a red rose placed on his side pocket, and my mother wore a strapless sequin dress which sparkled with the stage light. I was sitting next to Hyun Ae and felt so moved by my father's singing. His voice was genuine and uplifting, I could feel the butterflies in my stomach. As he sang and slow danced with my mother, everything else felt like a blur. They both loved each other so much, looking into each other's eyes, they forgot about the rest of the world. It made me contemplate whether I could ever find a love so pure like that.

I cleared my throat and ignored the laughter that spread across the room. I closed my eyes and started singing the song.

'A house like a picture is nothing special
Wherever you are, that's a picture
A shining day is nothing special
Whatever day it is
I don't need anything if I'm with you
It's not a harsh world although I have you
But I think that it's a harsh world
I thank and pray again
I pray so that you'd be
My side forever, unchanging'

I held both of my hands on the mic and felt as though I was singing with my father. It has been a while since I last sang, the only time I practiced singing was through vocal lessons as a kid and karaoke with Hyun Ae. Since this song meant a lot to me, the butterflies in my stomach soon faded, and I had dispersed away, so immersed into the moment with my parents, I was careless about what my classmates thought of me.

Once I had finished, I opened my eyes and came back to reality. Silence had echoed the room for a while until Jimin started cheering and clapping, "guys she was amazing, wow".

A few people also cheered with Jimin, but I remained neutral.

Feeling worse than before I aggressively handed the mic back to Taehyung and said with an annoyed expression, "happy?"