No More Second Chances

"You'd think people had better things to gossip about," said Ginny, as she sat on the common room floor, leaning against Harry's legs and reading the Daily Prophet. "Three dementor attacks in a week, and all Romilda Vane does is ask me if it's true you've got a hippogriff tattooed across your chest."

Ron, Hermione and I rolled with laughter.

"What did you tell her?" I asked, grinning at Harry.

"I told her it's a Hungarian Horntail," said Ginny, turning a page of the newspaper idly. "Much more macho."

"Thanks," said Harry, grinning back. "And what did you tell her Ron's got?"

"A Pygmy Puff, but I didn't say where."

Ron scowled as Hermione rolled around laughing.

"Watch it," he said, pointing warningly at Harry and Ginny.

"Just because I've given my permission doesn't mean I can't with- draw it —"

" 'Your permission,' " scoffed Ginny. "Since when did you give me permission to do anything? Anyway, you said yourself you'd rather it was Harry than Michael or Dean."

"Yeah, I would," said Ron grudgingly. "And just as long as you don't start snogging each other in public —"

"You filthy hypocrite! What about you and Lavender, thrashing around like a pair of eels all over the place?" demanded Ginny.

OWLs were approaching, but that didn't stop Draco and my meetings at night. It seemed the added stress of OWLs was pushing us over the edge. Sometimes we would just study together during our meeting. It was a good distraction.

I spent the entire day in the library studying. That night I went to sleep and was woken up by a nightmare as usual. I glanced at my phone and saw that it was only twelve o'clock at night. I pulled on pants and and adjusted my T-shirt. I grabbed my charms book and my wand. I Jude a few weapons in various places on my body as usual.

I walked down to the bathroom. I looked around and saw it was empty. My heart started to pound fast, but I told myself it was nothing. Maybe he was just late... for the first time this year. I took a deep breath and placed my books on a sink. After five minutes I gripped my wand tightly.

All the strange things I heard about Draco this year started to play in my mind. I looked out the window in the bathroom and started. Above the Astronomy tower was the dark mark.

My blood pounded in my head as I raced towards the tower. I was angry, embarrassed and felt so stupid. Yet part of me still hoped I was wrong. Still hoped he just knew it was happening but wasn't a part of it.

I pounded up the spiral stairs wand held in front of me. I burst through the door and stopped still. Standing in the room was Dumbledore. His wand was on the ground. In front of him was Draco. Draco had his wand pointed at Dumbledore with a determined yet pained expression on his face.

"How could you," I hissed. I pointed my wand harshly at Draco.

"Kendra," He said. His expression was shocked.

"I trusted you," my voice broke. "I gave you a second chance!"

I heard thuds and shouting downstairs.

"I haven't got any options!" said Malfoy, and he was suddenly white as Dumbledore. "I've got to do it! He'll kill me! He'll kill my whole family!"

"You always have options! I could have helped! We could have helped you!"

"We can still help you," said Dumbledore.

Malfoy stared at Dumbledore.

"But I got this far, didn't I?" he said slowly. "They thought I'd die in the attempt, but I'm here . . . and you're in my power. . . . I'm the one with the wand. . . . You're at my mercy. . . ."