Cold Truth

The moment shattered when the five minute warning bell rang, cutting off a response. We grabbed our backpacks and ran to class, which was history, the class Dad taught. Burnell sat next to Ginger, a shy red head kid. His name wasn't actually ginger, but I gave him that nick name freshman year, and I am too embarrassed to admit I forgot his name.

Dad stood up from his desk after taking role, and walked to the chalk board.

Inhumans and why we fear them

He scrawled across the board. I could see his slight grimace as he turned around. Dad launched into a history lesson about how Hydra saved our country from failing. I hated history class. The only thing that made it worthwhile was Burnell. He also made it terrible, because he can't keep his mouth shut. So I have very conflicted feelings about this class.

Half way through class, Burnell raised his hand.

"Don't," I hissed.

"I'm just asking a question," he replied. Dad glanced at me, and I put my head in my hands.

"Yes, Burnell," Dad said.

"But Sir, isn't it true that Hydra came from Nazis?"

"That's not true," Dad replied quickly. "Never say that."

"But weren't they the Nazi science division?"

"Please leave it," I whispered.

He walked over to Burnell. "Anyone who's informed knows that Hydra originated centuries ago. So they couldn't be Nazis, that's just propaganda." Dad reached over and patted Burnell on the shoulder. "But this is good, it shows how important it is to separate fact from fiction. Fifty years ago—"

The door opened and two men in suits came in. "Mr. Coulson, sorry to interrupt."

Dads back went stiff. "No, it's perfectly fine. Come in."

The room went cold and still as they whispered something to Dad.

"Chris Adler—"

Everyone turned to look at Ginger—Chris. His eyes went wide.

"Chris," Dad said softly.

"We're just going to ask him some questions."

No one in this room was that stupid. Burnell looked at Chris eyes wide, he was about to get up, but Chris beat him to it. He waved Burnell of, and bravely left the room.

"Okay," said Dad. "Let's get back to the lesson.

"He just let him die!" exclaimed Burnell after school.

"What did you want him to do? Take on two Hydra Agents?"

Burnell went silent. He and Chris were close, the next few months would be hard. Everyone knew he wasn't coming back.

I stopped, unzipped my backpack, and pulled out a bottle of spray paint.

"Let's vandalize some cars." I tossed him the can. "I'll go get another."