Inevitable

I had been fighting for an hour. I fell into a rhythm with my blade, and my dagger. Alien after alien ran at me. It was all too close range to use a gun. The air smelt like sweat and blood. Bullets were raining down from the sky. None of them were aimed at me, so I assumed it was from our side. I still had to be aware of the bullets though, I didn't want a stray bullet to kill me. My braid whipped around as I cut an alien in half.

I had heard people describe fighting as a deadly dance. I had never seen it that way. The way I fought wasn't graceful enough to be a dance. It was rough and desperate. It was sweat and blood, moving fast enough to stay one move ahead of the enemy. Every time the enemy fell into a rhythm, you changed it.

One alien came from the side and shoved me into another, the blade flying out of my hands. I grabbed a knife from my thigh and stabbed the alien I fell into. The body crumpled, a claw nicked my arm on the way down. I sliced the alien's throat just as it tried to stab me.

I rolled under Bucky's legs and grabbed my blade. I decided to ask Shuri if I could keep it.

"Wha—" said Bucky, but I was already running toward a group of aliens that had gotten past the other fighters.

I made large strokes with my blade, trying to keep them at a distance. One of them got in close and I thrust my blade back into its straps. I quickly grabbed my knife and slashed at their necks and arms. They were bigger than me. It had to be quick and slip under and around them. They clawed at my arms, and I was glad my shield uniform was built to take the place of armor.

I was swarmed by more aliens. Before I knew it I was on the ground. I rolled in the dirt wrestling with the aliens. I slashed and stabbed, dirt caking in my hair had face. A claw slashed at my neck, but I cut off the hand just in time.

"Duck!" Someone yelled. I curled into a ball, and the aliens around me went still. I looked up and saw my mom standing a few feet away, gun still up. She ran to me and helped me to me feet. Another alien charged us, I grabbed my gun and fired.

At that moment, a blinding, violent pillar of light and energy appeared in the middle of the field, sending the aliens scrambling. Lighting whizzed and plowed through aliens. I looked a little closer and saw it was an axe. The pillar of light vanished. In its place was Thor, a raccoon with a huge gun, and.... a tree man??

Bruce laughed, his head popping out of the robot hulk he was in and controlling. "You guys are so screwed now!"

Thor looked deadly, lighting pulsing around his body. "Bring me Thanos!" He ran towards the giant alien and the short alien we had talked to. Thor launches into the sky, lighting crackling all around. He crashed his axe into the ground and every alien within twenty feet died. I took this moment to catch my breath.

Mom and I looked at each other, than jumped back into the fray. I got out my guns this time. Firing at anything in reach. I ducked as a tree branch that seemed to never end whizzed over my head, strangling a group of aliens.

"Nice!" I called to the tree child.

"I'm am Groot!" he— I think it's a he—responded.

"Nice to meet you," I replied, firing at three aliens behind him. I heard a grinding, and turned toward the barrier. Big gear like things, the size of houses came up from out of the ground and advanced on us. Large spikes propelled it forward and ground anything in its path.

"Fall back!" screamed T'Challa. We ran as fast as we could, trying to out run the death gears.

Wanda flew in at just the right moment and took control of the gears before it killed us. She turned the gears around in the advancing army.