Concrete Hope

"I feel like I'm the only one eating. Try some of that," said Bruce. He pushed some fries across the restaurant table. I stared at him, trying to hide my surprise. I had heard that his hulk self had merged with him, but I had never seen it.

"I'm so confused," said Scot.

"These are confusing times," said Bruce. He smiled and shrugged.

"No, it's well —it's," mumbled Scot.

"I know I get it. I'm kidding I know it's crazy. I'm wearing shirts now."

"How? Why?"

"Five weeks ago we got our asses beat. Except it was worse for me, cause I lost twice. I lost, then we all lost."

"No one blamed you," said mom.

"I did."

I looked away, not knowing what to say.

"For years I have been treating the hulk like he was some kind of disease. Something to get rid of. Then I stared thinking of him as the cure. I put the brains and the bronze together."

"If it works for you," I said. Some little kids came over and asked to take a picture with him. I guess it was working.

"About what we were saying," said Steve.

"Right," said Hulk. "Look guys, it's out of my area of expertise."

"You pulled this off," said Mom.

He looked at us, then sighed.

"Fine," he said.

A wide smile broke out on everyone's face.

"Let's do this," I said.

"Can I have the leftovers?" asked Scot.

When we were back at the Avenger's compound, an owl was waiting for me. Mom looked at me expectantly.

"I'm going to go take care of this. Don't start without me,"I said, grabbing the owl and heading upstairs.

"Are you going to go kill that owl?" said Scot. "Is she going to go kill that owl?"

I took the letter off the owl. The owl flannel around my room as sat with the letter in my lap. It had been five weeks since I had any contact with the wizarding world. I was too afraid of what I would find if I did. Now it looked like it was unavoidable. I took a deep breath, and unrolled the letter.

Dear Kendra,

Something really strange and frightening has happened. With you gone I can only assume it has to do with SHIELD. Are you alright?

Hermione.

I let out a breath. At least Hermione was alive. I scribbled a reply.

Hermione,

I am alive. Don't worry about what's happening. I am going to fix it.

I attached the letter to the owl, then threw it out the window. I was not going back until I fixed this. By the time I was back downstairs, they had killed the power. Everyone looked kinda traumatized.

"What happened?" I asked. No one looked at me. Steve Rogers sighed and walked out. I looked at mom, then ran after him.

We stood outside looking at the road.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Look, kid, It's not going to work." He sighed and put his hands in his pockets.

My heart tightened. "What do you mean? It has too."

At that moment, a sleek black car came speeding up. I smiled, knowing who it was. Only Stark would drive that way. Like he lowkey wanted the car to take him out.

He pulled up and rolled down the window. "Let me guess, he turned into a baby."

"He what?" I turned on Cap, who nodded.

"Thank God You're here," I said to Stark.

He got out of the car and held up his hand. "A fully functional time and space gps."

I grinned at him. Who even needs magic.

"We got a shot again," he said. "So maybe we could not— die trying."

"Sounds like a plan," I said. I sensed something kinda personal was about to happen, so I went back inside.

"Tony Stark is here to save us," I yelled as I walked through the doors.

"Thank God," said Scot. "I did not enjoy being a baby."

"It was a work in progress," said Bruce. We all gave him a look.

"Kendra, go send a message to The Guardians if the galaxy. Tell them to come here ASAP," said Mom.

"I can't believe they call themselves that." I rolled my eyes.

She ignored me and turned to Bruce and Scot. "Go get the others."

I walked towards my mother. "What about you?"

"I'm going to get your father."

My smile fell. "I need to go with you."

"You can't," Mom said firmly.

"He's my dad," I hissed.

"Exactly," mom said softly. "You shouldn't see him like this."

As I searched her eyes, a lump began to form in my throat.

"Okay," I said finally, looking away. "I'll go send the message."

I went to Fury's— mom's office and sent the message. After that, all I could do was wait. I didn't have seven PHDs like Bruce. There wasn't much I could do to help. Instead I sat in mom's office chair and worried.

I worried about what happened to the wizarding world. I worried about my friends. I worried about everyone I knew who had dusted five weeks ago. I hadn't even tried to contact Coulson. But I was going to fix it. We were going to fix everything. I didn't know what to do if we failed.

Most of all I worried about dad. I was completely in the dark, but I knew enough to know that the dark was bad. Mom hid all reports about him from me. However I found one a week ago. It said he had slaughtered an entire gang. The gang was doing terrible things, but they were also brutally murdered. After that I stopped trying to find the reports.

Around lunch everyone was there, well everyone except dad. I said hello to everyone, then targeted Tony.

"Hey," I said.

"Hey."

"I just wanted to thank you for doing this. I know you built yourself a really good life...and uh... it means a lot," I said.

"Everyone deserves a second chance," he said, not meeting my eyes.

"Yeah. Your baby's cute."

"She's everything to me," he said.

"It must be nice to have something that means so much."

The doors banged open, and we all turned to look. Mom and Dad walked through the door arm in arm.

|•|•|•|•|•|•|•||•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|
Hey Everyone, sorry for the wait. I am working on a super secret pet project I hope to finish by the end of the summer.

Forever and Always,

Me.