I Want Both

"Wow," I breathed after the team had finished their story. "I missed so much. Why did no one tell me anything?"

"Coulson didn't want to worry you. Besides we took care of things on our own, and Coulson wouldn't want you involved unless absolutely necessary," Jemma explained.

"Also Mack was very against taking a kid into battle," laughed Daisy.

"How am I the crazy one in this situation?" said Mack.

"That's fantastic!" exclaimed Hermione as she came into the room with Ron and Harry.

"It's almost as good as magic," said Ron.

"Almost?" said Coulson.

"Coulson," I said. "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"We can talk  in your room," said Coulson, who seemed to expect this reaction from me.

"My room?" I asked as I walked out of the room with Coulson.

"Every time we built a new base, I made sure we included a room for you. I knew eventually you would come visit when your school was on break, or if we really needed you."

"But you have really needed me!"

We reached a wooden door, which Coulson pulled open. "How does it look?"

Plain, was the first word that came to mind when I looked at the room. The second was comfort. My room at HQ was always plain. It because I wanted it that way, but because I never had anything to make it mine. Except my books, or my clothes. But my clothes were chosen for efficiency, and my books were chosen for learning. The bareness of the room reminded me of childhood.

The room had a wooden desk in one corner by the window. The bed was up against the far right corner. A big bookshelf was in the other corner. In the corner by my bed, were closet doors, that when I opened them only had a new SHIELD uniform inside it. In between the desk and the bookshelf was a rack with all my favorite weapons. There were throwing knifes, guns, brass knuckles, and shirt blades for up close stabbing. The room was like a blank canvas waiting for me to paint it.

We walked in and I sat down on my bed.

"If you made a room for me, why did you never ask me to come?"

"I asked you to come this weekend?" said Coulson.

"Why didn't you ask me to come for something important?"

"Isn't this important?"

"You know what I mean," I said, getting annoyed.

"If you missed school this Monday, what would you miss?" asked Coulson.

"A Quidditch game," I replied.

Coulson paused for a moment. "A what?"

"A sports game," I said.

"If you missed this sports game, wouldn't you feel bad about it?"

"Yes."

I felt ashamed admitting it.

"Of course you would, and that's normal. Kendra, this school is giving you the closest to normal you could ever get. How can I ask you to give that up?"

"What If I don't want normal?" I said.

"So you wouldn't care if you missed the sports game?"

"Fine, I do want normal. Well I want some normal. Maybe. But I also want SHIELD. I want to be a warrior and an agent. I want to help my family when they need help. I want to protect the world. How can you take that away from me?"