The First Step Is Always The Hardest

Ruby's PoV:

I rolled over in my bed. "Mom... gauntlet...?"

"Waaaake up, Ruby!" Yang's voice was far-off but it was enough to get me up.

"Huh? Oh. Morning, Yang. Blake. Yang, you know where Mom's gauntlet is?"

Yang raised an eyebrow, as did Blake. "Mom's gauntlet? Isn't it in your suitcase?"

"Huh? Oh, right." I got out of bed and quickly popped open my suitcase, digging through it for the gauntlet covered in vellum sheets. As I did, Yang crouched down next to me.

"You dreamt of her again, didn't you?"

I nodded, pulling out the bundle. It was broken when Dad found it and he gave it to me wrapped in this scroll. Why, I don't know. I sat there, gazing at the broken weapon.

(It has Summer's Emblem shaped in metal right where the Assassin logo is with the logo laying flush atop the emblem, still being visible and prominient

"What's that?" Blake peered over us.

"A gauntlet that belonged to my mom. It's broken now, but we think the key to fixing it is in this paper, but we just can't seem to crack it."

"Give it here." We jumped at Eagle's voice.

"Gyah! E-eagle? What are you doing in here?"

He smirked, his hood down revealing...

"Ohmygosharetheseactualsnowleopardears?! Yourafaunusthatssocool!"

He sighed. "Yes, I'm a Faunus as is my sister." He pointed to his sister, who was biting her own tail. We all cooed at her

He chuckled, then held out his hand. "May I see the gauntlet and page? I might need it."

"O-okay. Do you think you can decode it?" We watched as he sat down at Weiss's desk.

"I'm fairly sure. Oh, but I have one request before doing it."

We all exchanged looks, then gazed at Eagle. "Y-yes?"

He smirked, tossing me something. "Use this."

Looking at the silver object he threw me, I saw it was a really ornate whistle with the same shapes I saw on Mom's gauntlet located on the whistle. Smiling, I held it up to my mouth and blew, scaring Weiss awake.

"What the-?"

I got real close aaaaaaaand... knocked her out of bed. While this was happening, Eagle was chuckling and muttering to himself, his eyes glowing periodically. Now that I think about it, he seemed particularly interested in the document Mom's gauntlet had been wrapped in.

"What is wrong with you?!"

Eagle spoke up from his work. "I move this here... A lot, Weiss. A lot. Flip these here..." His pen scribbled away.