Father's Day- Blurring The Lines

Start from the beginning

               "Here. Happy Father's Day," I said, tossing a giftbag at my dad and leaning against the counter to rest my leg.

               Dad opened it and smiled. "Thanks, Kai. I needed new shoes. And I can always use a gift card for the outdoor store."

               "Go crazy," I said.

               My phone buzzed and I checked the message from that stupidly named group chat. Karson was bitching that he thought his brother was going to stop by, Amelia was bitching that her dad wouldn't let her set up his new laptop, Lev was bitching at Amelia that her dad was right not to let her, and Jin was telling them all to shut up. Amen to Jin on that one.

               "Hey, come here," dad said, though I don't know why he bothered since he got up and came over to me. He pulled me into a hug, kissing my head. "Thank you for the gifts, Kai. I actually have a surprise for you."

               Mom was watching from across the room, and I saw the hopeful yet nervous expression she got. Oh boy. What now?

               Dad put a hand on my shoulder and gestured at me to grab my cane. I followed him out of the house and into the garage, stopping so fast he nearly walked into me.

               "You-" I started, but couldn't find any other words to say.

               "I wanted it done in time for today," dad said, and I could hear the anxiety in his voice. "Do you want to head to the lake for lunch?"

               I stared at the bike in front of me, custom deigned to have an extra seat with a backrest and footrests. I could tell the footrest where my bad leg would go had been placed in a spot for the most comfort to my leg.

               "Sure," I managed at last. How much did this cost him? Where did he even get this made?

               Mom handed dad a bag that no doubt had food in it. She smiled at me and brushed a hand through my hair.

               "Have fun," she said. "Take pictures of the lake for me!"

               Dad helped me onto the bike before getting on the front. He took off, bringing us down the familiar route to the lake.

               I could remember so many times we'd head to the lake together, our father-son bonding time before joining back up with mom. Dad always made me ride in front of him on the road right up until the accident that tore away my chances of ever biking with him again.

               I tried not to think about the accident, though. Instead, I thought of our races down the quiet streets, and my dad's protective "Kai, you're swerving" when we'd head down the main road.

               He took us all the way to the lake, and helped me off the bike. I limped forward to our usual spot, and looked out at the water. So often we'd jog and then swim to cool down. Dad liked to take me fishing here, even though I never had much patience for it. I'd usually get distracted and chase frogs, no doubt scaring off dad's potential bites. But he never got mad. He just cheered me on, and reminded me to be gentle when I had the frogs in my hands.

               Dad put his arm around my shoulders and looked out at the water. "Want to go out there?"

               "I can't swim," I reminded impatiently, gesturing to my bad leg.

               "You don't need to swim. I've got you," he said, tugging his shirt off and lowering down.

               I hesitated before taking my shirt off and getting on his back. He carefully arranged me so he wouldn't drop me, and waded out into the water.

               He went up to his chest, the cool water good on such a warm day. I closed my eyes as the water lapped against us, remembering all the times dad held my hand before I knew how to swim.

               I opened my eyes and looked out at the water. "Thanks, dad."

               "Anytime, kiddo," he said. He smiled a little. "I used to think there'd be a day when I couldn't carry you around anymore. Maybe there will be, when I'm old and my bones break if there's a breeze too strong. But I've got you now, Kai."

               I felt a lump in my throat and swallowed painfully around it. Screw this emotionally touching bullshit.

               I reached down and splashed water up at my dad's face. "You're so corny," I said, but my voice betrayed how I was feeling.

               Dad laughed. "Yea, I am. That's okay. It's just you and me. No one else has to know."

               Well, in that case... "Sure, yea. I love you, dad."

               "I love you too, Kai. So much," dad said.

               I hoped Jin and his dad were getting along today. I hoped my dad wanted to stay at look at the view for a while.

               He didn't complain about holding my weight. He just held me on his back and stared out at the lake with me. I couldn't swim anymore, but that wasn't stopping him from bringing me out to the lake like the old days.

               He was my dad. He'd hold me up when I couldn't do it myself.

               "Happy Father's Day," I said quietly, moving my hands from his shoulders and wrapping them around his neck in a hug.

               "The best one yet," he said, smiling widely, his eyes on me instead of the water.