13 | Parties & Questions

"Hold me in the dark,
that's where I need you
the most"
— unknown

One More Mistake
Chapter thirteen

❱ When I came home later that night, I expected the usual. Bruce waiting for me outside the house with a glare, then demanding me to tell him where I was at. Kace telling him everything he knew but the problem this time was that he didn't have no idea where I was. I parked my car at the driveway before making my way towards the door. I've noticed that Bruce's car wasn't there nor kace, it was odd but I didn't mind. I got my keys and opened the door, the house was quiet and the room was dark. The only light that was shown was from the large window by the door. I put my keys down as well as my bag. I took off my shoes and once I turned on the light I was taken back from the figure that stood near the bar area.

"What are you doing here?" I asked kace as I started to walk away. It didn't take long before I heard footsteps following me towards the kitchen. I opened the fridge, looking for anything to eat. I grabbed the first thing I saw which was a turkey sandwich wrapped in a clear bag. When I closed the fridge door, kace was leaning on the wall with a grimace, his eyes on my sandwich.

"You know... sandwiches are bad for you, they are high in salt, calories, fat, and well sugar." He said casually, like I wasn't mad over the fact he sold me out.

"You know 'friends' are bad for you, they are high in betrayals and lack the ability to be loyal." I pointed out the last part, not bothering to glance at him.

"Okay, you hate and I hate myself too but I had to tell the truth. You know your uncle, he has eyes everywhere and would know if I'm lying or not and I need this job Ms, Nightingale. I was only doing my job, something you won't understand because look at you, look at this place." He seemed to be teasing me but I didn't see it like that.

"You don't know me" I turned to him and seen his teasing smile fade.

"Where's Bruce" I then asked as I looked away and started to make my way towards the dining room. I sat down on the wooden chair before looking up to only see kace with a blank stare.

"Left the state and put me in charge to keep an eye on you" he said as he stood stiff. His arms behind his back, lips in a thin line.

"Left the state, you say?" I ask ignoring the coldness radiating off him. He nodded and soon a thought crossed my mind. It's not everyday when your abusive uncle leaves the state.

Instead of enjoying my sandwich I only take a bit before getting up and walking towards my room.

"Enjoy the rest of the night, Kace. I won't be needing you tonight" I yell out as I get my phone out of my pocket and send a message.

"You know I can't do that" kace yells back but I only ignore him.

In less than two hours my house was packed with people from school, the music playing loudly. Girls and guys rubbing their bodies together, going along with the rhythm. I was part of that group, not caring about anything nor anyone. Though, I hated everyone in school, right now I just needed to not care. Sure I was using them but so were they, even if the reasons were different.

As I was dancing along, I've glanced around until my eyes met a figure who was being straddled by girls. Kace seemed like he wasn't enjoying any of this but I sure was.

"Isn't that Alexandra" I heard a girl ask as she kept dancing. My eyes followed hers and in a second my mood went down. I stopped dancing and made my way towards her. She coolly sat near the bar, eyes wandering around until her eyes met mine.

"What are you doing here?" I asked loudly, my voice hard and cold. She leaned back the chair and only stared at me with a look.

"Well, wasn't everyone invited?" She asked as if she had no idea I didn't want her here.

"Plus, I didn't come here for you. I came here for Sterling, he was feeling a little off and needed a time out" she said as she pointed at him with her head.

Sterling is here?

My eyes flew through the crowd until I've seen Sterling drinking with no other than the elites.

So they're all here?

I look back at Alexandra but she was still looking at him.

"Well I don't want you here" I say loudly over the music. Instead of saying something back, she stayed quiet only staring at me. It was weird to think that we were once close.

"Then it's a good thing that I don't care, see you around" she only then bumped into me and left further into the crowd. My eyes followed her every move until I was snapped out.

"What was all that about?" My eyes found Alexis, but her attention was towards Alexandra. I haven't talked to her in awhile and I thought she got the memo that didn't want to talk to her. I don't answer and get away from her.

By now, I was in a bad mood. I just wanted to be alone and get away from here. I just wanted to get everyone out of my house. As I was making my way upstairs, people were only bumping into me, annoying the hell out of me. Once I opened the door to my room I shut it closed. Once I faced my room, I was taken back by the person who was in my room.

"What are you doing?" My voice was cold yet Rory didn't seem afraid. He looked away from my picture frame then towards me. He put down the frame that held a picture of me and Sterling before facing me again. I looked away from the picture then back to him. He slowly walked towards me, not losing eye contact with me.

"Were you and Sterling that close as everyone claims?" Rory asks as points towards the picture. I look away from him only look back at the picture.

Yes we were.

"It's none of your business" I say, my walls higher than ever. He needed to get away from me, he already knew about Caine, I didn't need him to know about Sterling and I.

"I missed so much in a year, for one, Sterling played dead. Owen and you were hooking up, your best friends boyfriend. Then—" I cut him off.

"Then you had to go to therapy because you couldn't bare to see Perry Wilson move on, was that her name?" I snapped but once I let those words out, I regretted it. That was low, even for me.

His face soon turn blank and all I wanted to do in that moment was take it all back. No one really knew what happened between Perry Wilson and Rory but we all knew it didn't end up well. There was rumors that she moved away to Canada to get away from him.

"You don't know shit, alright" even though he looked calm, his voice was hard and cold.

"Exactly, you don't know shit" I say back, not letting fear take over. He soon took a step towards me, only a few inches apart from each other. He didn't say anything, his eyes looking back and forth from one eye to another before he bumped into my shoulder, taking me off guard.

Once I heard the door open and shut close, I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.