41 | Pretend

"You told me to believe you, so I did"
— unknown

One More Mistake
Chapter forty-one

❱ I should've guessed that it was Bruce who was the one who did this to Sterling. What I don't understand is why would Bruce hurt him? There had to be a reason why, and I couldn't help but feel helpless. I hated not being in control and not knowing what was going around me, especially if it was about Sterling who I knew was keeping things from me.

I had to find out the reasons before something worse happened.

"You can't just walk away, you can't just shut down like this. Thea, just stop and talk to me and tell me how we are going to deal with this. Tell me what's going on in that brain of yours" Rory's voice was desperate when he came after me, his long strides catching up to mine. I was aware that I was shutting him off by walking away from him but I couldn't help it. I also couldn't fight the sudden anger that was forming in me, I was angry but not because of him.

Although, I convinced myself it was his fault. I don't why I did, I just did.

I stopped walking any further and turned to face him with my fuming anger.

He stopped as well, and now looking at it, I wasn't the only one who was angry. Rory's eyebrows were furrowed and lips were in a tight line, and his eyes were flaming red when they locked onto mine. I didn't miss the other emotion running through those blue eyes, I noticed it but ignored it.

"We? There is no we, alright? And what I do and don't do isn't really none of your business. When will you understand that I don't want you to be near me, talking to me, looking at me like that, you clearly don't trust me enough to be kept around so why bother following me around? Let's just stop pretending that you actually care about what I do." I said back, believing it'll hit him where I wanted, instead he became more angry.

He took a dangerous step towards me, and leveled his eyes with mine.

"Who said I was pretending?" he asked.

I was left speechless but didn't have time to dwell on what he admitted because he took another step towards me. I noticed his features changing before me, becoming soft yet confused.

"Look, Thea. If you don't want me around that's okay, but Sterling needs you with him. He needs the both of us even though he won't say it but if you leave right now and leave me alone with him, I won't know what to do. I guess I need you as well, believe it or not." He whispered the last part as if he didn't want me to hear it.

"Sterling didn't need me, he needed Alexandra" I responded back, my anger still there but lessening by every passing second. Clearly, I couldn't hold my anger towards him anymore and he was at fault.

"He needs you, you're his sister. Of course he needs you, you're the only one who he has left." He said as the ghostly grip he had on me disappeared, breaking free.

I quickly step away from him and avoid his eyes. 

"He left me, made me believe he was dead- he lied to me and betrayed me, no one does that to their sister." I said as I put my arms across my chest.

"Then don't help him, help me because I need you." he took a step closer to me, giving a look I've never seen him in him before. The way he said it made me believe that he was actually serious. But that shouldn't be right.