Chapter Twenty-One

Jake's P.O.V.

Claws.

Attached to the hands of the figure that was slowly making a trail through the smoke. Behind the first came another person, this time with glowing red... well, what should have been eyes, but in their place were metal circles that seemed to be ingrained into his head.

For a minute, everyone and everything froze. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. One fleeting thought flowed through my head. Ben's not the only one. That alone caused my heart to start beating faster. 

Max stepped forward, forehead furrowed. "Who... who are you?" He spoke lowly, meeting the gaze of the clawed person, whose black leather mask covered the lower half of the face, which prevented me from guessing too much about their identity.

I stepped up to Max's side, awaiting an answer. I met his gaze for a moment, before looking away, remembering his words from before about Ben. I shook my head, throwing the thought out. I couldn't think about that right now.

The clawed figure stepped forward, dark eyes flashing in the dim light that came from the flashlights coming from the doorway, and the one that was still gripped tightly in Tom's hand.

A hand rose up, and one claw delicately sliced down the side of the leather mask, making it flutter to the ground. Tom's flashlight revealed a teenage girl, with dark almond shaped eyes and flowing black hair that framed a delicate looking face. Meeting my eyes, something flashed through hers before she turned to Max.

"We are The Invisible's."

---

A minute of silence went by as we stared at each other, our agents versus their's. The tensed atmosphere only increased as the other person with the red glowing eyes turned his head, looking into the room that Hunlee's body rested in. I held my breath as I awaited his reaction, fingers curling into fists at my sides. 

His red orbs glittered as he slowly met my gaze, and a chill ran through my body as, for the first time in my life, I couldn't get a read on someone's emotions based on the look in their eyes. He reached for something concealed in his suit, but the girl stopped his action by placing a hand on his arm.

"Michael." Her eyes met his, and he froze, waiting for her to speak. She sighed, glancing at me, then back again. "He didn't kill her. You know that." 

My brows inched towards each other as I heard her soft words. What was that supposed to mean? How did they know that I didn't kill Hunlee? I narrowed my eyes, watching the interaction taking place in front of me, while Liam and Taylor subtly shifted themselves closer to my sides.

 Michael sighed, taking a slight step away from the girl, so that her hand fell off his arm. Hurt flashed across her face, but she quickly hid it as she remembered that Michael was not the only other person in the room. 

Michael crossed his arms over his chest, and, well, surveyed us, I guess. His orbs swirled from person to person, increasing and decreasing repeatedly in size. 

"Ava is right." His drew his head back, lifting his chin up in a haughty expression as he continued to look over my team, making me, in turn, stand up straighter with annoyance as his lip curled as if whatever he saw was not pleasant. 

"We know that you didn't kill Director Hunlee, but we do know that you have information that we need." Michael and Ava shared an indecipherable glance, before looking to Max.

Max raised an eyebrow as he, in turn, surveyed the team that Michael and Ava had brought with them. At least five agents were stationed behind them, all carrying weapons of varying degrees of destructive force, and all loaded and ready to be used.