Chapter Twenty

Ben's P.O.V.

The new weight on my back would take some time getting used to, but he said that I only had a few days to train with it before my first mission.

Psycho had designed a new suit for me, with silver metal feather-shaped shoulder pads, that were connected by two chains that were strung behind my neck. The suit also had an open back, showing the wings brand that was etched between my shoulder blades. 

Breathing heavily, I retracted my wings and sat down on the bench that rested on the far wall of the training room. I had just finished running ten miles on the treadmill with my wings out. They were bigger now, and more in tune with my mind. A simple command, and it was done. 

Staring blankly at the opposite wall, I waited, the ticking of the clock my only companion. Murmuring inside my head, I counted down three, two, one... and right on time, the door opened, revealing Psycho standing in the entrance, looking down at his clipboard. 

"Agent 5, you have completed training." He looked up, meeting my eyes. "And it's only been eleven days. Impressive." 

I sat there, staring at him. It could not not be impressive. I had a job to do. And the only way for it to go smoothly would be if I completed training perfectly. 

Psycho smiled. "It's time for your first mission." My heart beat faster, and I drummed my fingers against my thigh as I waited impatiently for him to sit down beside me. "But first, you're going to need the backstory." At my confused expression, he continued. "For the reason why you are targeting this certain person." 

He took a deep breath, and began.

---

The four of us, Mania, Delirium, Insanity and myself were eager and ready for our first mission as a team. The agency had prepared us the best they could, and now it was our turn to go and make a difference in the world. Well, that's what they told us. It just wouldn't be in the way any of us were expecting. 

"Catch!" Mania called, throwing my gear at me. I caught it expertly and shook my head at the twenty-five year old. He was always trying to catch me off guard, but he had yet to succeed in his antics. 

"Nice try," I started buckling the weapons onto my belt. "Better luck next time."  

"Boys," Insanity shook her head as she walked into our small dorm room, and my cheeks reddened. She was always acting as a mother hen among us, even though she was the youngest, at twenty years of age. Her raven black hair shone in the florescent lighting of the room, and as her eyes met mine, I had to look away.

"Come on, slow pokes, or we're going to be late!" Delirium hurtled into the room, screeching to a halt. "The car's ready, and I call shotgun!" 

Mania rolled his eyes. "Fine. I'll drive." 

We all headed out, with our director, seeing us off at the door. She stood there in her crisp navy suit, with pride glimmering in her eyes. We all drew ourselves up, basking in her gaze. 

"Good luck, agents," she stated, holding the door open. "I'm sure you're going to make us all proud."

"We will, Director Henlee," we chorused, and out the door we went, ignorant of our fate. 

The ride to the location, was quiet, tense. There was almost no words spoken, except for the occasional 'are we there yet?' from Delirium. But too soon enough, we pulled up to the abandoned jail house, and parked a short distance away. 

"Okay." Mania spoke as we all stopped outside the car doors, our nerves crackling in the quiet twilight air. It was mid-June, and the weather was pleasant, perfect for the mission. "We know what we have to do. The gang of five is supposedly hiding out here. We just need to go in there, apprehend them, and bring them back to H.Q.. Easy, right?" He chuckled, but the way his eyes flicked to the building betrayed his nerves.