Chapter Ten

I awoke to the sounds of voices whispering nearby. I froze, keeping my eyes shut, not doing anything that would give away the fact that I was awake.

"What do you think she meant, calling us traitors?" A female voice was speaking. Kara, then. I fought not to grimace, mentally cussing her out in my mind. She knew exactly what I meant. 

"I don't know, but we're landing soon. The others will know what to make of it." The noise of someone shuffling around reached my ears.

Crap. Others? And landing soon? This was bad. I needed to get out of here as soon as possible. If there only was some way to get out of these restraints... an idea popped into my head. Perfect. 

Groaning, I blearily opened my eyes and yawned. The voices stopped mid-sentence, and I peered to the side to see Kara and Tom standing by the wall of the plane with guilty expressions on their faces. Feigning ignorance, I asked confusedly, "What's going on?"

Kara and Tom looked at each other, clearly surprised. Kara took a step forward, her brows furrowing. "You don't remember?"

I looked down into my lap, fighting off a smile and disguising it with a yawn. "Remember what?" 

Tom also took a step forward. "Agent 5, or Ben- can I call you Ben?" 

I glared at him. "I remember that part. And No. Capital 'N', No."

"Ookay, then. Agent 5." Tom cleared his throat. "We found you near the highway, after a bomb, I guess it was, went off. You were hurt pretty bad, so we..." He looked to Kara. "We called a... friend... and now we're on our way to... other... friends," He finished lamely, spreading his hands out before himself. 

I narrowed my eyes at him. A likely story. "Well, okay then." I'd thought that they might say something useful, since I 'didn't remember anything', but I guess not. I made to move off the bed, even though my wrists were still restrained.

Tom rushed forward, crying out. "What are you doing?! You need to stay, uh, in the restraints. You might, um, go crazy on us again." He scratched the back of his neck and look to Kara pleadingly. 

I glared at the both of them. "Well then how am I supposed to use the restroom?" 

Tom's face turned a light shade of red. "Oh, of course. Um, here." He stepped forward and took a key from his pocket, unlocking the clasps. 

Gingerly pushing myself off the bed, which was actually more like a cot, just higher up off the ground, I tested my footing. Stepping  lightly on one foot, then the other, I let out a relived breath. Thankfully, it didn't hurt to move. I guess I wasn't hurt that bad. Well, being partly made of metal had it's pluses sometimes. But more on that later. Right now I needed to get to the plane bathroom.

Walking slowly over to the other side of the small area, I opened the door to see a short, narrow hallway with one door that said "Bathroom", on it. Once I had shut the other door behind me, making sure that Kara and Tom couldn't see me, I rushed over to the bathroom and shut the door fast, clicking the lock shut behind me. 

Leaning against the door, I closed my eyes and sighed deeply. I couldn't believe that Kara and Tom would hand me back over to them. They must have known what I'd gone through, or as much as they could, with my old teammates being their directors. 

Opening my eyes, I saw that a mirror rested on the wall next to me. Pushing away from the door, I stepped closer and looked at myself. I was still wearing my suit, but someone had cleaned and patched up my face. My chestnut hair was in disarray, but the one thing that alarmed me the most was the look in my eyes; they had the look of someone who was lost.

Snapping my gaze away from my reflection, I looked directly across from me, and a small smile crossed my face. A window, medium in size, was my way out. There was just one problem, though...

"Agent 5? Are you alright?" Kara's voice sounded from the hallway, and I jerked away from the door, heart pounding. I didn't hear her approach. 

I cleared my throat. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just... cleaning up a bit." I hurriedly turned on the faucet. "Just trying to get the water to warm up a bit."

"Oh, okay. I'll be right here if you need anything, okay?" Came the reply. I internally groaned. Of course I couldn't even get two minutes without them watching me like a hawk.

"Sure." I rolled my eyes, and walked over to the window, inspecting it closer. It was sealed shut, but I could break it. The door behind me was also airtight and sealed shut, so the air that would be sucked out would't affect the rest of the passengers and people on the plane. As much as I was disgusted at Kara and Tom, I didn't want to kill them.  I shook my head. My consciousness was getting to me. 

Bracing myself, I prepared to lift my foot up and back, to break the window, but a voice stopped me. 

"Agent 5? You've been in there for a while now, are you all right?" I hissed in a breath at Tom's voice. 

Faking a smile, even though they couldn't see me, I said in a sweet voice, "I'm alright, just... taking in everything that's happened." 

Silence came from behind me. "Okay. Again, if you need anything, we're right here."

I rolled my eyes. "I know," I muttered. "You've only said that, like, five times."

"What was that?" I took a deep breath, restraining myself from snapping at them. I needed to leave.

"Nothing, just talking to myself." I was about to draw my foot back, when another noise had me frozen. Again. It was a key, jiggling in the lock. 

I sucked in a breath. Crap. I finally drew my leg back and kicked at the window, which was about at the height of my hip. The first strike drew an immediate spiderweb of cracks, and poundings at the door. 

"Agent 5? What's going on?! Are you alright?" 

Ignoring the voice, I continued to punch and kick the window, and after several hits, the glass shattered outward. 

I flinched and squeezed my eyes shut as wind crashed in all around me. As I got up on the window ledge area, I could hear loud poundings on the door, but couldn't make out what the voices where screaming. 

I took a deep breath. It would be rocky at first, but if I could find the pattern of the wind, I would be alright. Looking back one last time, I whispered Release in my mind, and waited as I felt the gears in my back shifting into place, the metal wings unfolding out behind me, the metal glinting in the rays of the morning sun.

Closing my eyes, I sighed at the freedom of my wings being let out. Then, shifting around so that the wings were outside the window, I opened my eyes to see the terrified ones of Tom and Kara through a window that had somehow appeared in the doorway. Their mouths were open, yelling something at me, but I didn't bother to try to understand as I let out a slow smile and closed my eyes again, opening my arms, and fell backwards into the open air, wind whipping around me as my wings beat fast, trying to find the current.

Opening my eyes once more, I took in the rising sun before me, and smiled again.

Time to go home.