The worst mistake

I quivered as I stood in front of my pack and they stared at me wide eyed. "I—I didn't mean to! I swear!" I howled to them as some of their expressions changed to the same as LilyPad's. My eyes started watering, "Please you have to believe me!" my voice started to crack, "He attacked me first! I was defending myself! I wouldn't hurt any of you!" Moon was the only one staring at me with understanding in her eyes. Slowly anger rose into my throat in the form of a small growl. They really thought that I would hurt them?! "After what he's done to me, after the pain he's caused in my heart all this time, after everything he's done to any of you?! He was manipulating all of you and when you finally noticed it, it was too late. My heart is broken now, and it's empty, everything's leaked out of it because of him. And you still want to take his side after a small little mistake?!" I howled at them. "A small little mistake?! You call that a small little mistake?!" LilyPad started growling at me as she got in my face, "YOU KILLED MY FATHER AND YOUR MATE!!" "He attacked me I was just defending myself, and he was no longer my mate and you have no right to call him your father! He always ignored you and never payed any attention to your training! You'd make a great warrior but he never let you become one because he never cared, he also never made you a warrior because a real warrior knows when to keep their mouth shut!" "Then maybe you should be made an apprentice again, that's a skill you've yet to learn," and with that she stormed off and went to her nest in the cave. I started quivering again and then the most unexpected thing happened, PawStep ran right up to my and layed her head on top of mine. "It's going to be ok, I promise. It will all be ok," she kept saying with a calm soothing voice while she licked my ear. I ended up sinking into the ground and she layed beside me and kept calming me. Everyone else left and went to their nests very soon after PawStep started whispering. I had caught a glimpse of Moon's eyes and saw triumph and fear mixed in. She had lingered a bit longer than the rest but as well went to sleep.

I jolted awake and I must have startled PawStep, who was still sleeping beside me, because she jumped up as well. "They're going to punish me, they're going to make me leave the pack, or worse they'll kill me!" I quickly turned to PawStep, "Do you think they'd kill me?!" I could tell by her face that she was unsure. "OH GREAT SKYPACK THEY'RE GOING TO KILL ME!" I fell back into the ground, was I going crazy?! I started shaking, I was terrified.
I looked up and saw SkyCloud walking up to PawStep and he looked angry. I quickly jumped up and stood in front of her. "Let me speak to my mate, killer." My ears flattened themselves against my head at the name he had just called me. I staggered backwards and then crouched down to listen. "Why're you standing up for her?!" "Because she's my best friend, and she always will be no matter what happens!" "We'll probably kick her out, you do realize that?" "If she leaves then so do I, we grew up together and we'll die together!" "But you grew up with me too! You grew up with me as your mate!" "We were born a day apart, we have been best friends since basically birth, we had never let our "mates" get in the way before and we won't let them now." I hated that they were fighting over me. "Please don't fight over me! I've caused too much harm already, I deserve to die alone." PawStep looked at me shocked and then she leaned into my ear and whispered, "You remember when I confessed how I felt about you when we were young those feelings never went away... I love SkyCloud but I love you more, and I'll always go with you no matter what."

PawStep and SkyCloud were ignoring each other now and I still felt like it was my fault, It's been a week and I wasn't exiled like I thought I would be. Most of the wolves had started to forgive me but LilyPad and SkyCloud were still furious and growled at me whenever they had the chance. I started wriggling while DreamHeart was putting a new layer of medicine on my eye, "Hold still while I wrap it back up." I tried to hold still as long as I could while she put more webs around it, "You do realize that you probably won't be able to see out of this eye anymore because there was dirt and all kinds of bacteria and stuff under his claws and it most likely got into your eye. I'm sorry you had to go through this mom, at least I know there won't be any infection in your eye from now on. But you'll have to learn how to fight with one eye, either that or retire early and become an elder." My eye widened, I wasn't ready to retire I still had a good year or two for me to fight. "I-I have to think about it," I mumbled quietly half to myself. She just simply nodded and then got up to go talk to Violet and Cloud who were whispering to each other.