I turned to Bryce, "So how much are you getting paid?"

He almost seemed startled that I had started to talk to him, "Well, I get about thirty pounds an hour, and Mr McPherson said I should be working a regular 9-5 but he knows that you like to come in early and stay back late, so I just need to inform him of that and I'll get extra pay." Bryce shrugged, looking down at his feet.

I took a sharp intake of breath when he mentioned the amount of money, That's a guaranteed 240 a day, that will almost definitely end up more due to my inconsistent work hours. 

He chuckled, "I know it's a lot, trust me when I say I won't be keeping the majority of it."

"What do you mean?" I asked, turning my body to face him, still leaning against the wall.

He hesitated, "Well, I know for a fact that there are loads of people who could use the money more than me, there is an organisation downtown trying to provide soup and food and accommodation to the people down in the slums. I've become a regular donater, besides, my parents have a ton of money if I ever need it and the amount in my bank account number is way higher than it probably needed to be. It's just the right thing to do I suppose, help the country get back on its feet." A large smile was plastered on his face, I could tell he was saying the truth.

"Well that's admirable," I smiled a small smile in return, "I'm sure you tell that to every girl on the street, don't cha pretty boy?" My small smile turned into a joking smirk,

He laughed, "No, actually. I like to be private, I don't need the world knowing what a Samaritan I am."

I felt my smirk fall slightly out of confusion, "Then why tell me?"

Bryce looked at me, the smile not leaving his face, "I'm not too sure, maybe it's your welcoming personality," He said sarcastically.

I raised my eyebrow, "Get over yourself, pretty boy. I don't want us biting at each other neck the whole time, besides, with all this murder I really don't think its smart making friends."

He paused, "Do you think that these murders are that bad? I'm sure that it was just an off chance and I'll be relieved from bodyguard duty."

I sighed, fighting back the urge to take another cigarette out of my pocket. "Yeah, I think it's that bad. I don't think this will blow over and everyone will stop dying, of course, I would rather it stops but until the murderer is caught, I suppose there is nothing we can do." I said dejectedly.

"Well, there is the chance that maybe its nothing? Maybe they died from a freak accident or made a simple mistake or ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time and simply caught the brunt of it." Bryce offered weakly, "But anyway if this is a problem at least you have me to look after you?" It sounded more like a question than a statement.

I leaned my head back and closed my eyes. I shook my head, "I can defend myself,"

He raised his hands in mock surrender, "I didn't say you couldn't, but at least you'll have a new friend that will protect you, just in case you're stuck in the situation where you can't do anything..." He trailed off once he noticed my glare.

"We won't be friends Bryce, I hoped you would have picked that one up earlier. However, I'll be your acquaintance, but not friends," I almost growled.

He chuckled lightly, "Alright then, but do you think that we could head inside? My social skills are a lot worse when I'm sick with the flu."

I rolled my eyes and pulled myself up, the support of the brick wall quickly leaving. I smoothed out any noticeable creases from my dress and quickly realigned my hat to make sure that it wasn't facing the wrong way, It wasn't ladylike to look like a mess, especially in public. My mother's words echoed in my head, but, as usual, I ignored it and began walking out of the alleyway and back into the building, being followed dutifully by Bryce, who was trailing behind me.