9. King Fizayer

The babbling of the Merenem leader was as noisy as the reception in Sitaria. Too bad I didn't have soundproof ears to shut him out.

But the memory of my lips touching the feather-soft lips of my future queen was enough to keep my mood in high spirits despite the dull meeting. Calmone. however, was focused and I couldn't be more relieved.

My job was more action-driven. I didn't handle long meetings. But I did handle long outcomes of such meetings. What was so important that required my presence?

More times than I could count I'd been tricked into such meetings because people liked to think that they were extremely important. Worthy of the king's presence which was nothing but ego talking. Just like this one. Nothing but full of himself and his puny accomplishments.

Hmm Maybe it was time to let this leader go.

I interrupted his chatter, "It goes without saying that Semphon here has already accomplished too much in his life by giving all he had to his province."

I looked at Calmone who knew what I was about to do. He subtly shook his head but my mind was made up.

"And to honor his lifetime work, I've decided to give him his very deserving retirement with a handsome pay, of course."

Semphon's face had gone pale and beside an open mouth, there was no outward resistance to my decision. I looked at his equally shocked assistant.

I stood up and went to him, "Introduce yourself."

He swallowed and bowed his head, "Grethim, my king."

"And how long have you assisted your great mentor here?" I asked.

"Thirty-three years, my king," he answered still bowing.

"Then it's time for you to step up. Semphon here can be your passive mentor. But I don't want you to disturb him too much. Understand?"

I looked at Semphon who stood and bowed his assent. I appreciated his non-resistance. Some humbleness was still there then.

The rest of the leaders remained silent for the rest of the meeting. It was funny. I looked at Calmone and it was the first time he was sitting all relaxed. His eyes snapped to me and his amused smile let me know that he was enjoying this far too much than he was letting on.

A throat cleared and I looked up at the old leader of Neweresk.

He stepped closer to me and reported, "My king, I've just been informed by my commander about an.... activity."

I raised my brow, "Activity?"

He nodded, "He found Behishah's flag on the perimeter of the blood river of Neweresk. Our peace tree was found floating in the river upon further inspection."

I waited.

"The flag was in its place, my king," he pursed his lips.

My eyes turned cold.

Calmone was beside me suddenly and asked, "When did this happen, Vithur?"

"I just received this disturbing news, General. I'm myself lacking any more information until I go see for myself," the leader answered.

The darkness penetrated me quickly. Constel also came alive.

He entered my mind and advised, This needs to be stopped before it escalates. Nip it in the bud Fizayer.

I mentally nodded, Gladly.

I stepped forward and the murmuring of both the males ceased.

"Calmone, you'll go to the site with our Royal commander, Lamik, and his best trackers. Gather four search parties and order them to generate a lookout within the Neweresk. I want reports as soon as possible. I'm going back. Com my father and tell him to first exchange a dialog with Behishah's former king to assess their status. If it happens again, I'll exchange more than a dialog with their present king." I ordered.