Chapter 28

Author's Note: 

I might post an epilogue but I'm not sure. Please vote and comment. I can't believe this story is finished now (or nearly finished)... 

-Emily

Chapter 28: 

I don't know when, or how, but somehow I had managed to lose my mind. Maybe I never had it in the first place, yet made rash decisions based only on the safety of my family. If I care so much about my family though, am I ready to take this risk? 

If I die tonight to be with Clove, my deal with President Snow would be broken. The issue that concerns me most is whether or not he'll carry through with the deal. Something deep in my guts tells me that he will. He will kill my family and anyone else that I was close to. 

Am I ready to sacrifice everything for Clove? Is it really that difficult to not see her forever? Of course it is; if it weren't so difficult without her here, I wouldn't even be contemplating that question. My time is quickly running out; I can see that Peeta is now safely on the Cornucopia, out of reach of the muttations. This is where it will all end. 

This is where I find out just how much I'm willing to sacrifice for Clove. 

I haven't had a good look at the muttations yet, so I take this moment to soak in every detail. Their backs are arched like those of a wild cat with unmanageable fur and their razor sharp teeth poke out of their gnashing mouths. Saliva slides down their cheeks, dropping onto the grass below them. One bite from them is sure to result in a painful death. 

Suddenly, my stomach begins to ache, causing me to double over in pain. The muttations are out of sight from me now, though I can see them as they desperately try to jump to the top of the Cornucopia.  

"Can they climb it?" I croak out to Katniss, to which she gives me a puzzled look. She clearly hasn't understood what I've said, though it appears Peeta has. 

"He said, 'Can they climb it?'" Peeta yells to Katniss as she stares down at the ground. The sight must be horrifying as her mouth drops open in surprise and fear. I prop myself up slightly onto my elbows, ignoring the protests from my aching stomach and gasp at the sight. The mutts are climbing over themselves to reach the Cornucopia. It won't take long until they've reached it. Some are standing on their back legs, giving them a human-like quality. It's absolutely terrifying knowing that they can climb the safest place in the arena. 

I hear Katniss shrieks as a single mutt attempts to jump onto the Cornucopia and just manage to pick up on the conversation. 

"It's her!" She yells, pointing at the mutt that had tried to jump before. I suddenly realise what she's so terrified of as I take in the wavy, blonde hair and bright green eyes. If my suspicions didn't tell me that this was Glimmer, the collar sure did. 

These are tributes. 

The mutts are going absolutely crazy now, grabbing at Peeta and Katniss. I'm safely out of reach for now, calmly regaining my breath. In no time at all, I've stood up and began to walk to Katniss and Peeta. Katniss has just shot one of the tribute mutts, Thresh I think, so I grab for Peeta, locking his head into a headlock.  

The pain in my arms escalates as Peeta claws at my arm as if he's one of the beast's himself, but I ignore the pain. My brain has gone all fuzzy and I feel dizzy and I desperately struggle to keep my hold on Peeta. I know what I must do now; this is the time for everything to go right. 

I squint my eyes to try and see what Katniss is pointing at me. An arrow, I think. At least this death will be better than what I had been expecting; mutts tearing at my flesh and gaping cuts stinging as the saliva coats them. I laugh, filled with joy at the fact that everything is going just as I had hoped. Everything was falling into place and in no time, everything would be okay. 

"Shoot me and he goes down with me." I remind her, urging her to follow my advice. It's not him I want dead; it's her. She's the only way to save my family and myself at the same time. She's the solution to all my problems. I smile, amused at the situation that she has herself in. I can't help but pity her though; she has a family too, after all. 

I want to see her face and know what it must be like for her. I'm sure it will be one full of conflict; she does care for him, after all. Much like I do with Clove. 

Clove's face appears in my mind, weakening my guard for a moment. Then, it seems like everything is in slow motion. Katniss aims her weapon at me, once again and shoots. I look towards my hand, where Peeta is gesturing, and know what is about to happen. My tightly wound plan has suddenly spiralled out of control and there's nothing I can do to stop it. Everything's back to normal speed as the arrow pierces my skin, causing me to recoil in shock. They take this moment to escape whilst I gape at my hand, full of shock and fear.  

The reality of my death has struck me all of a sudden, filling me with fear. I take it back; I don't want to die. I just want Clove to be here, in my arms, and for everything to be alright again. Not everybody has happy endings though, in fact, out here, in this arena, there is no room for happy endings. Not now, not ever.  

I stumble on my feet, only just realising how much dizzier I have just become, and take a few steps backwards. Suddenly, there is no surface underneath my feet and I am falling, falling from the safety of the Cornucopia. The stiff ground harshly impacts with my back, paralysing me.  

There's no going back now; I'm dead for sure. I always was, even when I wasn't. I must be crazy now, and in that slight moment, I realise that I am crazy. I'm crazy to have even thought that everything would end well, that nobody would get hurt and everything would end well. 

The mutts have already reached me, tearing into my flesh and causing the blood to leak out of my gaping cuts like the salty tears falling out of my eyes. Pain envelopes my body and I writhe about, struggling for breath.  

And then it stops and everything goes black.