Chapter 12

Chapter 12: 

I sit in my room, counting down the minutes until the Games start. I could be dead in an hour. My feet tap against the wood of my dresser restlessly as the minutes go by quickly. I wish I could freeze time, maybe even reverse it. I can't though; nobody can. Eventually there is only three minutes left until I have to meet my stylist to prepare to go into the arena. I spend those last three minutes thinking about Clove. 

I wonder if things will be awkward between us now. I don't think I'll be able to be her ally if things are awkward between us. Maybe I should just forget about the kiss. Yeah, I probably should.

How can I though? 

"Cato, it's time to go see your stylist. The Games start in exactly forty- five minutes." Avalius yelled from the other side of the doorway. I heard his footsteps fade away as he walked further down the hallway. I turned towards the doorway, breathing heavily as I did so. I see that there is something taped onto the doorhandle as I walk suspiciously towards the door. Walking closer, I realise that it is a rose with a small note attached to its stem.

Could it be from Clove? 

My heart leapt in excitement as I reached for the note and held it in my hands, reading it carefully. Why am I so excited? Clove and I are just friends, nothing more. Why does my stomach ache whenever I tell myself that?

I must be coming down with something. 

The writing is elegant and neat; much too neat to be written by Clove. Curiosity overwhelms me as I read on cautiously. 

Don't forget our little promise. I will be watching you very carefully whilst you are in the arena. Failure is not an option. Don't let me down or I will give you something to regret. You wouldn't want anything to happen to your family, would you? 

-President Coriolanus Snow 

My heart stops and my knees collapse from beneath me. I fall to the floor, sobbing violently in fear, anger and sadness. All I can think of is that video and how, if I fail, that little girl could be my brother. I can't let Snow hurt Xavier or my family.  

I cry louder as the images of that evil video flashes through my mind. Eventually, footsteps sound down the hallway and a figure sits down beside me. I wipe my tears away quickly and look up at Clove. 

"What's wrong Cato?" She asks, worry clear in her eyes. Even though I try desperately to hold back the flood of tears that are threatening to spill, one eventually slips through. The wall I built so many years ago, to protect me from feeling weak and powerless, finally comes crashing down and I feel Clove's soft and warm arms close around my crying figure. 

Memories of last night flash through my mind and I stand hurriedly, wiping at my tears furiously with the back of my hand. I can't let our friendship be broken by the events that took place last night; I care too much about Clove to let our friendship die. I would rather have us die before our friendship does. 

"Nothing. I'm fine, just nervous." I reply quickly, attempting to mask my emotions with a blank expression. Her face twists into an expression of pure confusion and frustration as she stands up and walks towards me. I begin to walk towards the door, remembering that we have to see our stylists. 

"Why aren't you telling me the truth? I thought you cared enough about me to not keep things from me," she yelled, frustrated tears building in her eyes, "I just want to help you. You're not letting me inside your head though!" This was exactly what I was avoiding; fighting with Clove and ruining our friendship. 

She stands closer towards me so that our faces are only centimetres apart. I can see every single freckle that is dotted upon her face and feel her warm breath on my chin. "What is it that you aren't telling me?" She whispers, closing her eyes to try and keep calm.  

Using my eyes, I signal towards the camera that is on the wall above us. Realisation crosses her face and she steps away from me quickly, as if only just realising how close we were. A large rush of cold air hits me as soon as she is out of reach of me.

It's so cold without her. 

"Well, we better get going now. I'll see you on the other side," I tell her sadly, leaning in to hug her. My lips brush up against her ear as I whisper, "I'll tell you when they aren't watching." She nods her head as I pull away and we walk away from each other.  

I hold my head up high as I walk through the doorway to my stylist. I guess this is it, time to enjoy what little time I have left to live before the Games. 

My stylist greets me with a smile, gesturing for me to stand near a set of changing rooms. The stylist's name, I soon find out, is Flounder. What a strange name. 

After a half hour of preparing myself for the Games, the time comes for me to step into the large, glass tube that will lead me to my certain death.

"Goodbye Cato. I know you can win; you definitely have what it takes." Flounder tells me as I step into the large glass tube. I wave goodbye with a sad look on my face before rising into the arena.

My eyes scan the area carefully. There are lots of trees and bushes, perfect to hide in, and a small pond sits just behind a cluster of trees. That's where I'll go. Where we'll go. Eventually my eyes meet Clove's as the countdown starts. 

10... 

Deep breaths, take deep breaths.

9...

Search for a sword. That's all you need to survive.

8... 

Stay calm. Think of Xavier.

7... 

My family's lives are in my hands. I can't screw this up.

6... 

Don't die. If you die, you screw it all up.

5... 

No more hiding, no more running. I have to face my fears; hiding will get me nowhere.

4... 

 Kill Katniss Everdeen. Do it for your family.

3... 

It's time for the Games to start. 

2... 

Time for weak Cato to move over and let wild Cato take over...

1... 

Let the Games begin...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Author's Note: 

Hey! Sorry to leave it on such a cliff-hanger (Well, in my opinion a cliff-hanger...). I'm so excited that the Games are finally here!

Please, tell me what you think below and vote, comment and fan if you like it! I try and update every day but sometimes it's too hard. Please be patient if I haven't updated in a while, I'm trying the best I can. Well, I hope you liked this chapter! :) 

-Emily :D