•26- So Long•

The next day, after school, Eli, Sam, and I were walking to our cars.

"Want to hang out after you go see Vienna?" Sam asked. I shook my head.

"I have something I need to do."

"Which is?" Eli continues.

"I need to put my past to rest. It's time for me to let it go."

"I'm proud of you, Alex." Sam says, giving me a hug. Elijah does the same and we part our separate ways. They know what I'm going to do.

I decided I needed to go do what I had to do before I went to see Vienna, otherwise I might back out and not do it at all. I stopped at the florist and bought one bouquet of yellow roses.

I then drove to the cemetery and my feet automatically carried me to where I need to go, like it was an instinct.

Once I came to my destination, I sat down next to the headstone and stared at the engravings.

R.I.P.
Brinley Jane Harper
6-27-18
Daughter, Aunt, Friend, and Girlfriend
Loved By All, She Will Be Missed

I set down the roses in front of the headstone and sighed.

"I never really know what to say, do I?" I chuckle a bit to myself. If anyone else saw what I was doing they would probably think I was insane.

"I brought you your favorite roses, the yellow ones, since you were never into the traditional side of things. Um, I guess what I'm trying to say is, goodbye. I need to put my conscience to rest and this is the only way to do that. Brinley, you were my first love and my best friend. I will always have a special place in my heart for you, but it's time for me to let go.

I have met someone. Her name is Vienna and you'd really like her, I know it. You two are so similar. She sarcastic and humorous and kind and caring. She even has that same wit that you did. All I'm asking of you from up there in Heaven is to please look out for her. She's in the hospital, and even though she's doing better than before, she needs more strength than she has.

I know you'll take care of her until I am able to. I promise to come visit more often than I have been, because I have not valued you enough. I promise not to make the same mistakes with Vienna. Thank you."

I stand and take one last look at the grave. Kissing the tips of my fingers and touching the top of headstone, I reply with one last thing.

"I love you Brinley. Always."

As I walk out of the cemetery and get into my car, I am put at ease. I finally found the strength to leave my past behind and let go of what's been weighing me down.

Now, I just need to focus on Vienna.

Making my way to the hospital, my phone rings. I let it ring, too focused on the road to worry about it. It rings a second time and I ignore it once more. One more time, it rings and annoyed, I finally pick up.

"Hello?"

"Alex, it's John. I need you to get to the hospital as soon as possible."

"Why? What's wrong?" I rush out.

"Just get here soon." he says and hangs up the phone. John's voice gave away nothing as to what was going on. So many thoughts and emotion surged through me, I had to take the red light in front of me as an advantage.

I paused my train of thought and took a few deep breaths. After calming my raging thoughts, I pressed the gas pedal and headed to the hospital.

Once I arrived though, the thoughts overtook my body again and I sprinted to her room. Busting through the door I almost cried right then and there at what I saw.

With John and a nurse on each side of her, Vienna moved around the room, alive and awake.

"Sunshine." I breathed. She turned to me and they took her back to her bed. She sat on the edge and patted the seat next to her. I immediately sat down and wrapped my arms around her.

"I'll give you two a minute." John said and I smiled gratefully. Him and the nurse left the room. I didn't let go for a minute longer before finally looking at her face. It still had a pale-ish tint to it, but she looked alive again.

"God, I've missed you so much." I say. And the waterworks begin once again.

"Hey, don't cry. I don't like it when you cry." she whispered, trying to wipe them away.

"I'm just so glad you're back." I whisper back.

"Me too."

She looks at me with a frown appearing on her face.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"It doesn't look like you've been sleeping. Or eating either. Alex, did you do either of those things?"

"I ate a little bit. I didn't sleep very much though." I say truthfully. She shakes her head at me.

"Oh, Alex." she says, hugging me tightly. I do the same, trying to to press to hard on her stomach in fear of hurting her.

"How are you feeling?" I ask.

"Pretty well. My stomach pain flare up here and there, and sometimes I get a little headache, but other than that I'm great." she smiles.

I missed that smile.

"Want me to call the others. They've missed you too." She nods and I call each of them up, all of them screaming in excitement at the news.

Sam and Eli were the first ones to arrive. They ran inside and instantly went to squeezing the life out of her.

"Jeeze guys, don't kill her." I mutter.

"We missed you!" they say in unison and she laughs. That sweet laugh that I've been craving to hear for weeks.

"I've missed you guys too." she laughs.

Ellorie and Melanie arrive next. We leave the room to give them some space to talk. I know the girls have missed her almost as much as I have. We wait patiently in the hall outside her room and talk.

The smile I've had since I seen her has been plastered to my face the entire time, and I know everyone can sense the immense change in my mood.

"It's good to have her back." Elijah smiles.

"It's good to have you back, too." Sam adds, looking at me.

"It's good to be back." I reply, just as the girls walk out of the room.

"She's asking for you." Melanie tells me and I nod.

"We're going to head out, but keep us updated. We'll be back sometime tomorrow." Sam says before him and Elijah leave.

"Us too." Ellorie says and they follow the other two out of the building.

"You asked for me?" I say as I go back into her room.

"I did. Come sit." She replies, moving over so there's room for me next to her.

I lean against the pillows and she leans into me. I kiss the top of her head and she looks up at me. She lifts up a bit to peck my lips and sit back down.

"You call that a kiss?" I tease.

"Oh, I apologize. Is this better?" she smashes her lips to mine and leans into me even more, wrapping her arms around my neck. My arm slides around her waist and the other cups her faces as I deepen the kiss. She pulls back.

"Better?" she blushes.

"Definitely." I reply, out of breath. She laughs and cuddles back into my side. I sigh contently.

"You know, while I was out I had a pretty interesting dream." she says and looks up at me with a wink.

"Oh really? I did too." I tell her with a knowing look.

With that, she rests her head on my chest and falls asleep. Only this time, I know she'll wake up the next morning.

I look out of the partially opened curtain and stare out at the sky. I whisper under my breath.

"Thank you, Brinley."

Don't forget to comment and vote!