Chapter 10 - Paris (Part I)

Coming back to reality was never easy. Although I liked my new job in a consultancy firm the truth is that I was not sure what I wanted to do with my life. Ellie was always saying she could get me a better job in London and that I belonged to the world and not to a small country like Portugal. Nevertheless I love my country and that is why I would always come back here even though I would travel as often as possible to discover the world.

As a kid I have always been a little rebel, exploring and discovering what was outside of my reach. My parents knew that this was my nature so they have always given me my independence and respected it even supporting it when I was not old enough to pay for my trips or for the crazy adventures I wanted at the time. However, being like this made it difficult for me to settle in a desk job like the one I had now.

"Maria! Can we postpone the meeting we had? I have to leave now to meet a cliente. By the way, you have mail for you in the front desk." Sofia, my manager had became a friend of mine in the last eight months I have been working here.

"No problem. I only wanted to talk to you about my vacations, I can just send you an email." I replied as she was already throwing her pc into the bag and trying to run outside the door in her huge stiletto shoes.

When I arrived in front desk there was a few secretaries around the counter.

"Do you think it was her boyfriend? I have always thought it was odd how she keeps pushing the guys at the office away... maybe she does have a secret boyfriend" I hear someone whisper

"You think? It is probably other admirer..."

I coughed pretending I had something on my throat to make them stop talking about me while I was listening. When they turned I finally saw what they were all commenting. On top of the counter there was a rose with a card.

"Thank you. I can take it from here." I said smiling of embarrassment while taking the flower and starting to walk into a meeting room to have some privacy.

Paris is waiting for you... and so do I. I have a surprise planned. K.

Next to the note there was a plane ticket with no return date. We have been talking in the last few days since I came back to Portugal but I didn't tell him I was going to Paris. I guess this was his way of peaking my curiosity and pushing my answer. I took my mobile phone out of the pocket.

WittyAlice

06 June 2019 – 16h11

Just received your gift. Thanks for the rose.

I may have decided to go to Paris but I was not giving him the pleasure of letting him know that...

---

I was definitely not going to get used to having a driver waiting for me in the airport. As soon as I arrived to the hotel I got a message from K.

K_ Yeon Tan

08 June 2019 – 09h32

I know that you have arrived to Paris. Can you please stop pretending that you are not coming?

WittyAlice

08 June 2019 – 09h34

Ok ok. I am here. But I only came for the croissants... Don't get the wrong idea!

K_ Yeon Tan

08 June 2019 – 09h35

Sure... I have to go back to rehearsal and then I have some interviews but I will see you tonight after the concert and tomorrow I can be with you the entire day until the concert.