Chapter 30; Future Queen

Start from the beginning

"I should fuck his scent out of you," Lucien snarled once more, "I should bleed it out of you."

"I am no longer with him," she spoke the partial truth. "I am with you."

Another groan pressed into her. "Yes, and he will suffer. You will be my Queen and_"

"What?" Alice snapped her eyes towards his. 

But it was her mistake as an enraged expression took control of his features. His hand wrapped around her throat, hackles rising as his eyes turned red and his canines elongated. "I am your King, my little demoness. Do not interrupt me when I speak," saliva dripped out of his mouth. Alice struggled against his hold, gasping as he held her against the wall, eyes flickering between her lips and neck. "Am I clear?" 

She ached to curse at him, to rip his throat out with her teeth and rid the earth from his disgusting presence. But she had to play it safe. It was like a mantra in her head, the knowledge that she needed to fool Lucien into thinking that she was docile and that she wanted him. Alice had to become an actress in order to take his crown. She willed her body to relax, nodding in compliance. It went against her nature to submit, even to the Lycan King, but both herself and her beast knew that not doing so would earn them their death sentence.

Lucien released her, letting her body fall limp to the ground. Coughs escaped her as air rushed back into her lungs. He was indifferent to her state as he smiled once more. "I'll pour you a bath, my little demoness. A seamstress will come and check that your gown fits. I picked it out for you."

It shouldn't surprise her. Her hand lingered on her throat, her eyes following his movements as he entered the bathroom. The smell of lavender oil wafted towards her, soothing some of the tremors that passed through her body. How far would she have to go to appease Lucien enough to allow her to kill him? How low would she have to stoop? Alice didn't dare think of Colden as Lucien extended his hand towards her. She took it without so much as a grimace on her face.

He left promptly after, claiming to need to check on the arrangements for the engagement party. It was only when she was truly alone did Alice let herself cry, her quiet sobs filling the white bathroom as she sat submerged in the water. Every time that she closed her eyes, Colden's face would flash at the back of her eyelids, like a taunt for the betrayal that she had committed. 

* * *

"Extend your arm, miss," Lola, the seamstress, ordered. She had come an hour ago, shortly after Alice had left the bathroom clad in a white fluffy tower. The party was at 8 pm, within two hours time, and Lucien had ordered her to be presentable and beautiful by then, ready to be shown off as a trophy.

There was no doubt that Lucien planned to make a statement. In his eyes, he had won. She knew that. And she also knew what it would look like to Colden. Despite the letter that she had left next to his sleeping form, Alice wondered whether he'd believe her. She wouldn't blame him if he didn't, after all, she had run from him once and now she had done so again, this time after they got to know each other. It was a painful thought to think of the consequences of the bargain that she had struck with Hades, but there was no backing out. 

The dress Lola had prepared her was rather...extravagant. Not like something Alice would have picked out herself; it showed off her lean back and the curve of her backside as the bottom extended outwards, just like Cinderella. The front was lace, which emphasized her cleavage, and the colour, which Lola had whispered meant prize, was a blood red. They had curled her hair, letting it flow down to cover the mark on her neck, per Lucien's request. Another statement for Colden. She just had to breathe through the dressing and through the rest of the party. It wouldn't be long now. Soon, he'd be dead. Hopefully, if all went to plan.