Chapter 16 The Moles Retreat For Good!

Lucy manages to wack ten moles all at once with a weapon.  She laughs as she defeats them and says,  "This reminds me of that game at the mall that goes by Wack a Mole!"  She hits three more and those fall over dead as well.

           Natsu, Ezra and Jellal all kill there fair share of moles too. Happy only manages to destroy four moles and Melinda gets rid of  six all by herself.   After two hours, their is are very few moles left in the garden.   The friends continue to have a battle against the fuzzy, pests that are intent on messing up this place that is suppose to have flowers.  

         Only, it appears that their are few if any actual plants left.  It is  a total disaster area thanks to the obnoxious  creatures. Lucy charges towards one of the moles that remains and is about to wack it when she sees it pull out a small trumpet and blow it.  She looks on in surprise!  Wow, she did not expect this at all.

      The remainder of the moles  line up one by one and head on out.  That is to say they leave on their own without another fight.  It is like the things just gave up.  It sure appears to be that way anyways.  The moles  are no longer anywhere in sight.  Not a single one is left, as it seems they came to the decision to retreat for good!  

       "Uh, what just took place?"  Jellal ask no one in particular.

       "Yeah, what did happen, man?"  Natsu says as he stretches his arms and looks around him in confusion.

       "I  would like to know the same thing."  Ezra remarks.

      "Aye, same here, Miss Scarlet!"  Happy responds.

      "Well, I really do not get it."  Melinda replies.

      "Guys, and girls, it is not that big of a deal!   I mean the animals just blew trumpets, got in line and begin to march towards the exit.  Then, next thing we know they are all gone.  Is that really such a bad thing?"  Lucy says.

     "No, but it is rather unusual."  Natsu answers.

     "I agree with Natsu on this one." Jellal replies.

    "Same here!"  Happy says.

    "I  think it is odd too."  Melinda says.

      "Odd, you think that is strange, you are an ordinary cat and you talk.  How do you manage that anyway?"  Jellal remarks.

        "I honestly do not know.  It appears that I am only able to do so here in your world.  In my world I can only meow, mew and purr for attention."  Melinda says.

        "Hmm, well that is a rather funny thing indeed."  Jellal tells her.

               The man comes outside and expects the place a bit.  "Wow, I see that the garden is  all mole proof!  I  shall make sure to pay you a decent amount for a job well done! "  He says.

            "Thank, you sir."  Happy says.

            "yes, thanks ever so  much!"  Ezra remarks.

           "Thanks!" The others reply as well.

                The man goes inside the house, gathers up some money and divides it among six envelopes.  He goes back outside and hands one envelope to Ezra, the next to Jellal, one to Happy, one to Melinda, one to Natsu, and finally one to Lucy.  

         He says, "There I  do hope you find the payment to be satisfactory." 

             Natsu opens his small, envelope up and gasps.  He thinks, wow, there is enough in here to help me pay my bills off for the next four months!  He smiles,  "Thanks, man!  It is more than generous of you."

            The man smiles as it pleases him to hear the young man is happy with the  amount he has given him.  He thinks, hopefully the others will feel the same about it as they have the same amount as the pink spiky hair, dude, Natsu.  He goes back inside happy to be rid of the moles at last. This way he can plant more flowers, grass, etc. and not have to worry about those  pesky  rodents  digging up anything anymore.  

              Ezra , Jellal, Natsu, Lucy, Happy and Melinda  leave the place and as they do think that job was way easier than we would have thought!   The six friends laugh about the funny look and response Ezra gave the man when she first found out what the task was he had for them.  Now that they think back on it the situation was rather hiliarious!   They are glad to be done with this meager  job and can only hope the next mission will be more of a challenge to them all. 

           They travel on for a few hours and stop for a quick snack.  This consist of crackers and pimento cheese with water to drink.  Once done, the girls go to the ladies room, and the boys to the men's room for a quick bathroom break.  When they finish, the girls wait for the boys.  Then, the group heads back outside the small pit stop area to head the rest of the way back to the guild.  

           Little do they know that Melinda's time with them will grow shorter and shorter as the days, weeks and months go by!    That is to say time for her to go back to her own world will come sooner than anyone of them realizes and it will be harder on Happy than the rest of them!  

           It seems he has grown quite fond of her company and he sees her as part of  the team now.  He cannot imagine his life without her in it. Happy it seems has gone and fallen in love with this real cat.  He dares not speak a word about it to anyone though.  Not even Melinda herself knows, or at least Happy does not think so anyway.    

        to be continued in   Chapter  17  Another New Arrival?