"No you're good." I spoke quietly.

"Lucky for you i keep aspirin in my go bag." He grinned as he took out a black duffel bag from his locker and handed me a bottle full of aspirin. I just observed the locker trying to comprehend how that gigantic bag fit in there.

"Thanks, but im okay." I looked at him hesitantly as i set the bottle back into his locker. Even if my head was on the verge of detonating, i would never take medicine, even over the counter from a random boy.

"Sorry Mira." He pouted. My heart and brain began to panic in sync that he knew my name. I looked at him in complete shock as i tried to figure out how he knew.

It was Jamal. One of Celine, my younger sister's friends. I got hit so hard i didnt realize who he was.

"Its okay." I muttered quietly as i fixed my glasses before walking away.

Talking to people isn't necessarily something im good at. But my sister on the other is so talkative and not like me whatsoever. Maybe that just shows i did a good job at keeping her away from the traumatic past we had. Celine was a happy teen, living her life. Thats all i wanted at the end if the day, to keep her safe.

Now this is going to be very embarrassing because now shes gonna see me get bullied now that we go to the same school.

Usually its the other way around right? The older sibling helps the younger one stop getting picked on.

"Wait.." Jamal ran after me. He scratched his neck awkwardly and looked at me. "Can you help me find your sister?" He questioned.

"I should get to class." I looked at him nervously.

"But class doesn't start for another 20 minutes." He furrowed his brow as he looked down at the white paper in his hands with his schedule.

"I should go." I blurted out as i practically ran away. I felt my body begin to go into panic mode. This might be the longest conversation i've had in all year of going to high school. I was terrified.

Jamal's pov

"Celine remember how i told you that i don't think your sister likes me." I set my tray of food down on the lunch table. "Well i still believe that."

She let out a sigh. "Jamal.. don't take it personal. She's just really not much of a social person."

"Awww look at her." Monse pouted as we all turned to look at Mirabella sitting on a bench by herself. She was so invested in the book she was reading.

"Mario said he used to talk to her when he was still here." Ruby glanced at Mira then back at us. "She tutored him in english." He laughed.

"Yeah... she's really good at writing." Celine smiled.

"Does she not have friends?" Cesar raised his brow as he watched the senior flip to the next page.

Celine let out another sigh. "Well... ummm i dont think so."

Thats when Cesar took the initiative to get up and walk over to Mira.

Mirabella's pov

"Hey." Celine's friend stood in front of me.

"Hi." I pushed my hair behind my ear nervously. My sister's friends are the only people who have talked to me today, thats so pathetic.

"Wanna sit with us?" He questioned.

I glanced over at the table to see Jamal wave at me. "N- No i'm okay."

"Well too bad." He chuckled as he grabbed my bag that was set on the floor.

"Uh what?" I whispered to myself. I felt overwhelmed, and my lungs were closing in on me. The concept of having to sit at a table full of people scared me.

I walked after him to try and grab my backpack, but failed miserably.

"Look who agreed to join us." Cesar grinned as both him and Ruby made room for me to sit.

"Hey sis." Celine grinned at me.

"Hi." I smiled as i sat down next to ruby. I was quiet the entire lunch period. I just sat and observed Celine and her friends with the occasional pulse and respiration check.

I hated that i was always running away from people. If it werent for the constant fear, maybe just maybe i'd have friends. My life would be different. Its like im battling with myself.

I want to have friends and to be happy. I want to live life without feeling as if it was a waste of a day.

Im just too scared to make that happen.

—sweeteasaint