SEVENTEEN: Dinner with a Bully

Dinner is awkward. Avørek came downstairs and is now seated at the table waiting to be served. Aliston has already left, according to Caster, so it's just going to be the four of us. Lavere included.

Sitting down once I've finished helping Caster deliver all of the dishes to the table, I can't help but feel a little annoyed at the alien who's been sitting in his chair this whole time, having not even bothered to help us set the table.

Not that he or Aliston has ever helped us before, but if it's just the four of us, isn't it polite to at least offer to help?

Focusing on spooning the orange soup into Lavere's mouth, I chance a glance at Avørek. He's quiet, face tilted downwards as he focuses on stirring his soup and sipping gracefully off of the spoon.

The silence is deafening. Only the little hums of enjoyment and the clinking of spoons fills the dining room. I turn to check on Caster, who's sitting across from me. He's not eating.

He changed back to his, uh, 'he' form soon after the fight between father and son. Now he's sitting there with hunched shoulders, playing with his spoon as he stirs it through the food.

"Caster, please eat your food."

He drops the spoon in his bowl. "But Em not eat either! Caster wait for you."

He says this like it's an easy excuse, but I know he's only saying it so he doesn't get scolded. We didn't waste over an hour in the kitchen, only for no one to eat it properly.

I roll my eyes, catching some soup dribble from Lavere's chin. "I'm feeding Lavere, Caster. If you wait for me your soup's going to get cold."

He whines, pouting at me until I pick up my own spoon and take a bite.

It feels wrong though, to eat before the baby has finished. I'm still not very used to having three meals a day that include more than a small piece of semi-stale bread. It will take time, I know, to get used to eating when others eat instead of waiting for everyone else to have their fill.

That's just how things were, back home. Food was difficult to come by, so when we had some, it only made sense for the little kids who were still very much growing, to eat first.

My actions work, however; Caster digs into his meal after seeing me take a mouthful of my own. Avørek scoffs, the first sound he's made all night.

"What?" I say, a little forcefully.

"You take orders from the pet now?"

Pet? My fingers tighten around Lavere's spoon as I glare at the alien. He thinks Caster is a pet? What gives him the right to say such a thing about Caster?

"Just because your father isn't here, doesn't mean you have to pick on us," I snap. "If you've got nothin' good to say, then don't say anything at all."

Caster shrinks down in his seat, his head only just visible over the table. Avørek growls, dropping his own spoon that lands in his soup with a thunk, liquid orange spraying across the table.

"You don't get to tell me what to do, human." He spits out, leaning out of his chair.

I straighten up, not willing to back down when there are two other people in the room who are getting scared from his behaviour. "Actually, I can. Aliston put me in charge until he gets back. So, I think it's probably a good idea for you to sit down and eat the food Caster and I have slaved away at all afternoon."

He growls again, the noise sending panic to flood my system, but I shove it back. "Stop it! If you think you can bully me, think again! Next time you pick on me or Caster, I'll make sure you get more than a little slap."