FOURTY-ONE: Trouble in Paradise

"Who's a handsome little alien?" I coo, ticking Lav's belly with the wet bath cloth.

He's sitting in the shallow water, bubbles surrounding him as he splashes his arms, squealing in delight. He's beginning to look a little more like Avørek now that I'm aware of it. Instead of his skin being greyer toned, he looks a little more on the purple-pink side. Maybe when he's older his skin will take on a richer looking hue, especially since both his parents are quite bright, colour-wise, I mean.

He splashes again as I gently wash him with the cloth, cooing and squealing like all babies do. I can't help but smile at the sight, the image reminding me so much of my own little boy. Charlie loved baths, whenever I could give him one. In summer, we'd just find a clean pond and have a bit of a splash, but one time when I found some soap, he'd had an absolute field day with the bubbles.

"You're just too cute!" I bop him on the nose, eliciting another gummy squeal as he looks up at me with his swirling eyes.

"Em?" Caster pokes his head around the bathroom door, timidly shuffling in.

"Yeah? You, okay?"

He nods in response, coming to kneel next to me by the bath. He coos at Lavere, causing the baby to mimic the noise in response, bouncing in the tub while my arm supports him.

He's getting more mobile now too, turning his head, trying to balance a little more. It's quite cute seeing him kick his legs and throw his arms about. He's definitely going to be a handful when he reaches walking age.

Caster sighs, dipping a hand in the water as he leans against the bath rim. "Cas had-wanted baby," he begins, a sad lilt to his voice. "But Cas broke."

I frown, turning to look at the sad, curly-haired man. "You're not broken. Just because you had a bit of an accident doesn't make you broken, Caster."

He hums, but it's not really in agreeance with my words.

The Mirkers have crushed him. No doubt he was once a happy alien without a care in the world, and now look at him. He's absolutely crushed. He has no faith in himself.

"Cas not useful. Aliston don't-did not want me." He shrugs, leaning so he's facing me now.

I'm not sure if the accident caused Caster to be infertile, but even if it did, it's no excuse for him to be treated like he is. Aliston should have made Caster feel good; loved and treasured. Instead, Caster is pushed aside.

"Hey, you can have a kid if you want to, okay? It's your life. Aliston and Avørek can go fu-die in a hole."

Caster smiles, lifting his hand from the tub to flick water at my face.

"Hey!" He laughs, the broken sound echoing through the bathroom.

"Have you seen Aliston lately?" I gently prod once the laughter dies down.

Caster purses his lips, shaking his head no. I don't blame him for avoiding the man, it's not like Aliston has ever really taken care of Caster. I mean, yeah, he let him stay alive after the accident, but that's a basic right. Caster shouldn't have been demoted to a house slave, cleaning, cooking, gardening. Even if Caster now enjoys being outside amongst the flowers, that doesn't mean he was destined to be stuck in someone else's backyard for the rest of his life.

"I think he wants to talk to you about something."

Caster whines in his throat, frowning. "Caster not want to. Aliston will just tell off."

"Why? What makes you think he's gonna tell you off?"

Caster rises from his slumped position, sighing, "If I, Cas, make Avørek upset, Cas always get trouble. It no matter what done."