Chapter 28: The Room Where It Happens

After about a month of hospital visits and homeschooling, Alice and I return to Hogwarts. As soon as I step out of the fireplace, I'm hugged by James, who ignores the amount of floo powder that transfers onto his robes. Even after the yells of my dorm mates force him to pull away from me, he presses a kiss to my forehead and to my lips before stepping back and running a hand through his hair.

Immediately after he steps back, Brianna, Gwen, and Rose run over, tugging Alice away from Evan, and the five of us hug each other and squeal and overall act like every obnoxious teenage girl cliche.

Eventually, we break apart, all short of breath, except for Gwen, the only quidditch player of our group.

"Remember, you're still in my office," Headmistress McGonagall says dryly from the corner of the room. Aside to Alice and I, she says "Welcome back, girls. Please remove your friends from my office."

"Yes, Headmistress," Alice and I say in unison, not missing the wink McGonagall throws our way.

I link arms with James and pull him towards the door, watching Brianna and Gwen link arms, attempting to get Rose to sit on their shoulders, finally succeeding and ducking through the doorway to make sure Rose didn't hit her head. Alice walks up and takes Evan's hand, but he seems detached and won't look her in the eyes, in spite of how tightly he's gripping her hand. I look up at James to find him glancing in their direction too, and I tap on his shoulder so he looks down at me, exchanging concerned looks.

Our group walks down the stairs towards the Great Hall for lunch, and I exchange greetings with the other students at the Ravenclaw table, who don't even question it when James sits next to me, throwing his right arm around my waist. The funny thing is he's not even left handed, but he doesn't move his arm from its place when he starts eating. I raise an eyebrow at him and he shrugs, his spoonful of mashed potatoes missing his mouth and dropping onto the table. I roll my eyes and take his spoon from his hand and feed him his next bite.

"I thought you said we weren't going to become those people," James teases.

"We both know we ARE those people, so don't even start," I reply.

Before James can say anything more, I'm surprised to see Alice sit down beside me, no Evan in sight. I decide not to comment on it, and greet her as I normally would, James taking the hint and echoing my greeting.

The rest of the meal continues as if Alice and I had never left, and Alice debates with Louis Weasley with the same animated gestures she always uses. James and I make eye contact and exchange identical confused glances.

"Maia what do you think?" Alice places a hand on my shoulder, turning me towards the discussion.

"Sorry I didn't hear what was going on. What was the question?"

"We were debating about whether or not selkies or unicorns were better," explains Louis.

"Neither. Werewolves are better. Case closed, discussion over, werewolves win, have a nice day."

Alice and Louis sigh in unison, disappointed but not surprised. I turn towards James, who grins at me, and the conversation resumes.

"What? Is there something on my face?"

"No, love, I'm just glad you're back."

I beam back up at him and we spend the rest of the meal with stupid smiles plastered on our faces.

(A/N): I know I don't normally put my author's notes at the end, but I just wanted to close this with me speaking! As I mentioned in the first chapter I published today, this will be the last chapter of this story until I go off of hiatus (when that will be, I have absolutely no idea). Thank y'all so much again for reading, and I hope y'all aren't too mad at me for putting this story on the back burner for now.... Thank you thank you thank you ~ Kira  

Just You Wait | James Sirius Potter (On Hiatus)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara