Chapter 19: History Has Its Eyes On You

(A/N): Oh my god I might be the meanest author of all time, but I'm finally updating at last! (And I'm publishing a few chapters to make up for it :) But the thing is, I'm super busy, so I haven't had the chance to write much more of this, so from now on, expect really inconsistent and far-apart updates. I'm sorry, but I hope you enjoy this chapter! ~ Kira

As soon as I step off the Hogwarts Express, I detach a clingy James and go looking for Cora. I find her just as the feast is about to begin. She presses a note into my hand with a small smirk.

The note reads: "We need to discuss something. Meet me in the library. Five minutes after curfew. Don't bring James."

I flush at the last sentence. How does she already know about James? Well... Cora usually knows everything about everyone anyways.

I summon a paper airplane and levitate it over to Cora. She sees that it's blank and turns toward me, raising an eyebrow in question. I gesture to her to pour her pumpkin juice over the note, so she pretends to accidentally knock over her drink. When she reads the message, she bursts out laughing.

The invisible ink (triggered by the juice) reads: "Haha I just made you spill your pumpkin juice. P.S. I'll be there."

After the feast, I go back to the Ravenclaw tower to unpack my trunk, but soon enough, it's curfew and I count down the minutes until I'm supposed to leave to meet Cora. As soon as the clock struck ten, I snatched the Marauder's Map from my drawer and keep my eyes locked on the footprints, dodging teachers and prefects on my path to the library. I find Cora's name on the map in the row between the restricted section and the rest of the library. She waves me over as soon as she sees me.

The table she's sitting at is a tornado of blueprints and miscellaneous papers and chocolate frog wrappers. When I sit down, she pushes a pile of chocolate frogs towards me and places a quill in my hands.

"We are in quite possibly the worst prank war situation we've had since before we raided the Gryffindor's prank closet. Here is the sector of the Gryffindor corridor that we have get to find a Slytherin willing to take the position," she points at a blueprint of the Gryffindor tower, "Probably because the stench of the nearby boys dorms is just so overwhelming."

"I'll do it," I suggest, "I've been part of the prank war since first year. I'm sure my dorm mates and I can think of something."

"I was thinking that, Maia, but I am concerned about you getting distracted."

"Distracted?"

Cora sighs, "Does James Sirius Potter ring a bell?"

My face is burning and Cora gives me a knowing expression.

"Don't worry," she assures me, "I'm not here to make you break up with him. You two can be as sickeningly adorable as you like. It's not my decision who you date. But seriously, I don't want you to get distracted on the job."

"I won't," I say indignantly, "How would you be so sure I'd get 'distracted'?"

"Because it happened to me once. And also because you told him about the recipe for the green slime we made. A group of Slytherin first years were covered in red slime the next day."

I look down sheepishly, "Sorry...... wait. What do you mean, 'it happened to you once'.....?"

"I shouldn't have said that."

I scoff, "You sound like Professor Hagrid. It's ok. You can tell me."

"Always so stubborn," Cora rolls her eyes, "Fine. It's not a long story anyways. Remember Colm McLaggen?"

"Yes......?"

"I fancied the pants off him," she pauses at the expression on my face, "No no no I don't mean it like that. Maia.... No....."

"Fancied the pants off him, you say........" I raise my eyebrows and grin at her.

"Keep that up and I'm stopping the story right here."

"Sorry sorry sorry go ahead. Continue."

She sighs and rolls her eyes as she moves the story along.

"So we actually started dating towards the end of third year."

"You whAT??"

"Shush, Maia."

"Sorry sorry."

"Anyways, before I was so rudely interrupted. Remember the potion fiasco when I dropped a cart full of potions onto my robes right before I was supposed to place them over the common room door?"

"Yeah. That alerted the Gryffindor targets of our presence and basically led us into a trap."

"Right. About that. I told you guys that Peeves pushed over my cart...... but he actually wasn't anywhere near me......."

"You didn't.."

"Ok fine maybe I ran into him and he asked me out and I freaked out and tipped the cart."

"Well that explains why both of you had purple robes the next day."

"Yeah......."

"Next time something squeal-worthy happens, tell me so I can scream about it when it happens not like nine months later."

"Got it. But seriously, Maia. I still wanna make my point. I just wanted to make sure that you don't get on the wrong end of a potions experiment. I can move some people around so that you take the girls stair shift."

"Well, general," I joke, "I will take it upon myself to make the right decision. I'll take the girls stairs."

"I've got my eye on you, Maia," she jokes back.

With that, we gather up the papers on the table and return to our dorms.