Chapter 22: Dear Theodosia

A few weeks later, Hogwarts is not at war with itself for the first spring in years. But with spring comes so many bouquets of flowers coming to our dorm. Evan sends flowers to Alice at least twice a week, and Rose Granger-Weasley's allergies have never been worse. James tried to send them every day, just to beat out Evan, but after Rose threatened to make his summer holiday at the burrow a living hell, he decided on a loophole. His bouquets, though only once a week, arrive in gigantic and flamboyant packaging, the bunch of flowers themselves about the size of my small nightstand. Now Rose has to go to Madame Pomfrey weekly to pick up a custom-strength allergy potion.

Brianna and Gwen spend most of their time putting the bouquets to good use. They checked out dozens of books from the library on how to make flower crowns and every week try to each make the most beautiful one. (They hand them out to the first years and send them to their relatives and those of their friends. Once, Teddy, mum, and dad sent a picture of themselves each wearing an oversized flower crown. Merlin knows how Gwen and Brianna managed to send them all. Each one must have been the size of my owl Maeve, who had been suspiciously tired that week.)

Soon enough, my birthday arrives. May 28. Three days before the summer holidays. With it comes a swarm of chocolate and wolf stuffed animals (from dad), a bottle of turquoise hair dye and bleach (Teddy), and a page full of pictures of mum took of us (mum of course). Sure a few of the pictures are of me falling at various times in my life, but I loved them all the same. With their gifts come an exhausted and cranky Maeve and a letter. It contains three short letters:

Dear Maia,

What do I say to you? You're turning fifteen which makes me immeasurably old, I believe. At this point, I may surpass Nicholas Flamel in years. I do hope to hang on for a little while yet. You will do incredible things with your life. (You have already. I mean you look almost exactly like me which is an achievement unto itself.) Have an amazing birthday, pup, and I hope you're aware that the chocolate I sent you is from my special stash.

With love,

Dad

My my Maia,

I'm sure your dad told you something profound. Something so horrifically philosophical and some comment about how you had the great fortune of resembling the great and powerful Remus Lupin. Well I'm here to make sure you laugh a little bit without crying over the woe of getting older. I hope that Maeve didn't drop the envelope I sent you just to spite me for accidentally bumping into her while on my way to sealing the letter with the photos. So if you have no idea what pictures I'm talking about, I'll see you in a few days when the train comes and I'll show you the second copy your father made me make "just in case". I also have with me two tickets to the Weird Sisters concert in London. (Don't tell dad or Teddy. We're leaving them to their boring boy things while we go and have some fun.) The last time I sent a letter, it was an accidental howler, but I made both Teddy and dad check it just in case.

Love you,

Mum

Shortie,

Happy birthday! You're fifteen now and not any taller than you were last year, so congratulations on my part. I sincerely hope that you'll be using my present. (Mostly because I love you, sister dearest, but also because I swear dad wouldn't know what to do with himself if you did.) Make sure Alice or Rose puts the dye and bleach on. Wouldn't want you to trip over yourself in excitement.......get it?.........trip?........ I can feel the eye roll from here. Anyways, I just wanted to wish you a happy getting old day and let you know that Uncle Padfoot misses you because apparently I'm not as fun to prank.

Your tall older brother,

Teddy

After reading the letters, I let myself laugh for a few minutes before running downstairs to the great hall for dinner. I'd better enjoy the food while I can before mum cooks when I get home.