Chapter 9: A Winter's Ball

Two weeks after the ultimate prank attack we had launched on the Gryffindors, they were still stewing over the defeat they suffered, but they had more present things to worry about, namely the upcoming Yule Ball.

The Yule Ball tradition was revived the year Teddy began his fourth year, just in time to take Victoire as his date to the Yule Ball. They hadn't been dating at the time, of course. After all, Victoire's father, Bill, would never let anyone take his daughter anywhere until he's met them and judged if they were worthy. However, a week later, Teddy had gone to meet Bill and his wife, Fleur, and from then on he was known as Victoire's boyfriend to the entirety of the Weasley clan.

Unfortunately, this meant that every Potter or Weasley boy thought that he might have the same results as Teddy at the Yule ball. I overheard them in the courtyard, having a huge Potter-Weasley clan discussion of the Yule Ball.

"Well, if Teddy had luck with Victoire at the Yule Ball, why can't we?" said Fred Weasley II.

"Yes but Teddy already had 'some unspoken thing' or whatever with Victoire before the Yule Ball even happened." Albus pointed out.

"Well we all have one thing in common at least," said James, "we're all reliable with the ladies." He winked in a way that I guess was supposed to be attractive, I wouldn't know, would I? I definitely wouldn't.

"Why am I even here?" Scorpius Malfoy called from the far side of the Potter-Weasley clump.

"Because you'll be a Potter soon enough," teased Louis, elbowing Albus in the ribs.

Albus elbowed him right back and glanced at Scorpius with a matching red face. As soon as they made eye contact, the blush spread from their face to the tips of their ears, and the entire Potter-Weasley clan noticed, silently exchanging galleons.

At this point, I felt the need to save poor Scorpius and Albus from embarrassment and stepped out of the spot where I had been listening.

"Hello boys, what's this all about?" I said trying to look as innocent as possible, as if I hadn't heard everything.

"Uhhh......"

"Nothing.."

"What do you mean? We're not doing anything..."

"Yeah...."

I turned on James.

"One at a time. James, please explain what's going on. I know you all never meet like this unless there's something important happening."

He turned a bright shade of pink all the way from his face to his ears to the back of his neck.

"It's nothing, Maia," he began, running his hand through his hair "We're just discussing.... Uh..... quidditch and who we think is going to get the quidditch world cup this year."

I raised an eyebrow. That boy can't lie to save his life.

"Then why are Albus and Scorpius a lovely shade of Gryffindor red?"

At this, Albus and Scorpius somehow managed to turn a darker shade of red.

"Oh that's because they bloody fancy each other and won't accept it," Louis piped up, but winced as he received two sharp elbows to the ribs.

I held out my hand and Fred placed five galleons in it.

"Anyways, from the looks of it, and judging by the fact that I heard someone mention Teddy as I was walking by, you're talking about the Yule Ball and how none of you have managed to get someone to tolerate you for a night yet."

Offended gasps sounded from every corner of the room, including from James, who jokingly took my hand and said,

"But you've been able to tolerate me, haven't you, love?"

"You wish, Potter." I joked back. This sort of teasing had started last year, and by now I'd gotten used to it.

There were some loud awwwws coming from Albus and Scorpius and James quickly cast a silencio charm on both of them as I fought to hide my blush. He turned back towards me, keeping a firm grip on my hand.

"Here love, I'll show those twats how asking someone to the Yule Ball works. Just act accordingly." said James, with an all too familiar look in his eye.

"Maia Andromeda Lupin - "

"Are you asking her to a ball or are you bloody proposing to her?" shouts Fred.

"Both, if she'll let me," quipped James.

"Ask me again in five years," I replied.

"Anyways," he continued, as the tips of his ears turned a faint shade of pink, "before I was so rudely interrupted. Maia Andromeda Lupin, light of my life, would you do me the honor of going to the Yule ball with me?"

"James we're only fourth years. How the fuck am I the light of your life?"

"Language, love. You were also supposed to answer accordingly."

I sigh loudly.

"Yes I would love to go to the ball with you, James Sirius Potter, light of my life." I say in a monotone voice.

"See boys? That's how it's done." James said with a cocky smirk to the rest of his cousins. He undid the silencio charm on Albus and Scorpius to hear their reactions. Their answer was in unison.

"Bloody hell and you say WE'RE blind."

"That was just an example," I quickly stuttered out, "We're not really going to the Yule ball together."

By then, James had begun walking out of the room, but he turned to look at me on the way out, a smirk was plastered face, but an unreadable expression in his eyes.

"Let me know what color dress you're wearing, love. I'd hate for us not to match."