[62]

The doctors come in and check his vitals.

"Everything looks okay, his bruises are healing nicely, I don't see anything wrong with him otherwise, so that's good news" the doctor says, scribbling down on his clipboard. I nodded slowly, shooting a look towards his parents who don't even look at the doctor, just keeping their eyes fixed on their son.

"How much longer do you think it'll be until he wakes up?" His mother's soft voice interrupts the silence that has fallen across the room.

"Well, honestly, I do think he's on the road to recovery and I do believe he'll be waking up shortly, just based off his levels of responsiveness when we do some testing- but don't let that get your hopes up. His mind and body have to want to wake up, it's just as much as a fight on his end as it is on ours."  And with that he left the room, with a small nod towards me.

We stay silent, I move closer to him. No one has touched him in two days. I feel like if he feels something it might help him wake up. I go over and I grab his hand and I give it a squeeze a few times. I just then learn what the doctor means about him being responsive,  because I can feel the slightest pressure of his fingers twitching against my hand. He's fighting hard, I know it.

"Guys! His fingers are twitching. That's a good sign, right?" I say excitedly, trying to reassure his parents. They both smile so brightly at the words, glimmers of hope in their eyes.

I lean down close to his ear.

"I love you." I squeeze his hand one more time before just resting it onto of his hand.

"I should probably see my parents, I haven't spoken to them in so long, maybe they would want to know what's going on." I was nervous suddenly, my hands beginning to sweat as his parents looked at me. His mother smiled,

"I think that would be a great idea." I look over to Mr. Perlman but he just gives me a worried look.

"Son, we just want you to be happy. But some people just won't change. I just don't want you to be disappointed." His wife smacks him on the arm but I nod to him, I agree. I decide to hold it off until Elio is better, just for my own sake.