[43]

Days went by filled with tortures work at the dig site. Days filled with sweltering heat and dirt. Oliver and my father have been busy, not even allowing a second to breathe.

Me, on the other hand, not so much. I helped in anyway I could, I cleaned the artifacts, helped dig. But I didn't know anything about the work they were doing. I keep wondering why I was even brought here. I just sat back and watched the way Oliver worked. The way his smile grew wide every time they uncovered something new, or the way the sweat glistened on his face in the high points of the heat.

The sun was setting on another abnormally hot evening and Oliver and my father had begun to clean up for the day. We were staying on site, so the small tents we had set up were all we had in terms of shelter. And it wasn't just us; my father had a whole team of archaeologists and anthropologists meet us at the site. We were all sharing this big discovery and this small space. Other archaeologists had students shadowing them on the project as well, so I met a lot of people just like Oliver.

I haven't spoken to Oliver other than a few quick words here and there in days. He was busy, therefore leaving anything that happened at home left unsaid. The silence was killing me and I was almost positive it was killing him as well.

We had been sharing a tent the two of us, along with two other college students on the dig as well. At night I was so desperate for his touch and to hear his voice, but the crowd made it impossible.

"Elio. Come here." My father ordered, waving me over with his hand. The sunset shone beautifully as the sky turned shades of pink and orange. I looked to him as signal for him to continue.

"It's hot and the sun is setting. You've both done enough today. Take Oliver with you." I didn't question it as excitement filled me. I quickly nodded my head and ran to where Oliver was sitting on the ground, dusting off artifacts.

"Dad says we are done for the day. We can go back to the tent." He looked up to me and smiled, gently placing down whatever was in his hands and wiping his forehead of sweat with his sleeve. He reached out for my hand and I helped him up, but he let his hand linger longer than it should have. I smiled shortly and followed behind him to the tent.

"Aren't you sick of this yet? It's hot, you're sleeping on the ground, and you don't really like this type of stuff." Oliver asked as he bit into an apple he took from the cooler. It was true, there really wasn't anything for me here except Oliver.

"My father wants me here. And I'm pretty sure you do, too." I say confidently, taking a seat next to him inside the small tent. He leaned back and let out a sigh, a smile gracing his lips.

"You'd be right." He reaches out and places a hand over mine. "I miss you"

I cover his hand with my own and bring his hand up to my lips. I press my lips softly to his knuckles. He hums happily and grabs me by my waist. He pulls me down next to him and wraps a strong arm around my waist.

"If only we were always alone."

"If only."

We fell asleep that way, with me pressed against his strong chest. I didn't realize when the students we share the tent with came back. I was worried about them finding us this way but I was too content to move.

The next morning I awoke to the tent opening and soft whispers. I kept my eyes closed and I moved closer into Oliver's chest, his sent filling my nose. I always loved the way he smelt.

"Should we wake them up?" It was the other kids in the tent.

Shit.

"No, leave them alone." The other boy ordered. "Let's just leave." The tent opened and they quickly left, and I felt every muscle in my body relax. I was never one to hide away but the thought of everyone knowing made my stomach turn. I guess they never came back last night.

Oliver's arm moved away from my waist and to my hair, lazily playing with my curls.

"Good morning." I whispered, looking into his beautiful blue eyes. He was always so breathtaking in the morning, when he was still waking up. He hummed in response and ran his thumb along my lips.

He leaned in and gently pressed his lips to mine, but he didn't pull away. We stayed like that for a while; it wasn't uncomfortable or awkward, I always felt comfortable in everything I did when I was with Oliver, it was when I was left alone with my thoughts I began to second guess everything. It was intimate, but he soon pulled away and pressed his lips to my forehead.

"I missed seeing you when I woke up." I smiled at his words and kissed him again, not being able to get enough of him. I wanted him in every way possible, I wanted to see him, touch him, feel him, hear him. It was intimate times like this when sometimes I feel like we were only just one person.

"I love you" I say, intertwining my hand with his.

"Ti amo" I love you. He said in his beautiful deep voice. I sat up and rubbed the sleep away from my eyes and looked around.

"The others came back this morning," I said, peering trough the opening in the tent door.

"Did they?" I nodded. "Good for them."

"You don't care they saw?"

"Saw what? Us? I have nothing to be ashamed of." I looked down to my hands.

"But they're not like us, or from where we are from. What if they hate us?"

"Then let them, baby."