[50]

Today was December third. Oliver and I waited anxiously together as my father went to pick them up from the airport.

"It'll be okay, Oliver." I sat next to him and grabbed his hand in mine. He leaned into me and took a deep breath.

"I hope they love you as much as I do." I couldn't help the smile that formed on my face at his words. I placed a kiss to the top of his head and laid back.

"I know I'm young, only still a teenager. And I know you're older than I and that people will say I'm too young, and that even you are too." I began, running my fingered through his hair. He looked up at me as a sign to continue. "But I don't want to be with anyone else."

"I know, baby." He pressed a kiss to my shoulder and stood up as he heard the door open.

"Buongiorno!" Mafalda's joyous voice could be heard from downstairs. "Welcome!"

Mafalda was very suspicious about most things and judgmental, but even she loved Oliver. Even she was okay with him and I. It was the thought that many others wouldn't be that loomed over our heads.

"Are you ready?" I asked, gabbing his hand. He looked at me and nodded nervously, but walked along side me hand in hand towards the steps.

His hands became sweaty and when his parents came into sight he quickly dropped my hand. I tried not to let the small gesture bother me, I knew he was afraid of what is parents would think. But the feeling of someone being ashamed of me just made my skin crawl. I attempted to hide my discomfort and followed closely behind him into the kitchen.

"Oliver!" His mother cried, engulfing him into a bone-crushing hug. His father smiled at him, "son", he fretted before shaking his hand.

How odd, I thought. My father kisses my head hello and goodbye, along with everyone else. Were all Americans this way? Or was it just him?

I began to sweat nervously at the sight of his father, a huge, unforgiving looking man. Oliver looked just like his mother, with the same blonde hair and shrinking blue eyes.

"You must be Elio, ciao!" His mother greeted me, before giving me the same hug.

"Very nice to meet you." I say, before turning to Oliver's father. I shook his hand and his grip was unforgiving, his hands rough and cold, and his handshake harsh.

"Oh please give Elio your bags! He'll show you to the room upstairs, you'll be in his while Elio and Oliver share a room for as long as you stay." My mother instructed l, before leading them into the living room. They handed their bags to me and I headed upstairs, trying to carry the heavy luggage. I struggled to throw it onto the bed.

I met them back downstairs and sat next to my mother, who was in a conversation with Oliver's mother. My father helped Mafalda preparare lunch as Oliver's father just looked around the room.

"We've never been to Italy before. This is so beautiful, I can't wait to see the rest of it." His mother says. I was relieved to see my mother and his could get along so well so fast.

"So Elio," his father started. "Tell me about this job Oliver has. What's keeping him here." I exchanged a look with Oliver nervously before opening my mouth to speak. I was cut off quickly however by Oliver himself.

"Dad, we've been through this. I want to stay here. I love my job. I'm an assistant to Mr. Perlman in his archaeology field. I meet with the publisher in town."  He nodded his head.

"I just envisioned more for you, a family and a steady job."

"Leave him alone," his mother chimed in, rubbing his back soothingly.

"Our boy is happy and lives with such a wonderful family. Let's be happy for him, no?" She kissed her husbands cheek before exiting the room, insisting on helping Mafalda.

"Pranzo!" Lunch! Mafalda called from the kitchen, eventually breaking the awkward conversation between Oliver's father and mine.

I was afraid of what their time here was going to entail. 

-

Hey guys sorry for the long wait, lots has been going on but thank you for the continuous love and support for my story <3 I'm having an operation next week so things have been a bit hectic. Thank you for everything! Love xoxo