[29]

The phone rang. I picked it up nervously. The phone rang quite often, given we have housed many of summer guests, my family, friends and parent's colleagues. Nonetheless, every time the phone rang my stomach dropped.

I couldn't tell if I dreaded it being Oliver or if I hoped it would be.

"Ciao."  Hello.

"Elio, hi." Oliver's distinguishable voice rang though the phone. My stomach dropped and it felt as if my heart stopped.

"What do you want?"

"I miss you." I stayed quiet, tears of my unhealed wounds threading to fall. "Look, I'm sorry. I don't know what else to do. But I called to speak to your parents. The wedding is set and I can't send them an invite so I figured I'd call and invite them myself. You're invited too, of course, if you choose to come."

My world was ending. Things have been quiet until now, no word of the god forsaken wedding. No word from Oliver at all.

"Oh." Was all I could muster to say, my voice cracking into the phone. He sighed.

"This isn't what I wanted to happen, you have to know that. You left me. But your parents were so kind to me I can't not invite them."

"I never left you; how can I leave something that was never actually mine in the first place?" I sniffled. I wasn't sure if he was crying too.

"Just pass the message on to your parents. I hope to see them there, you too. I haven't seen you in a short while but I want to see you one more time. I need to. The wedding is September 18th. Please come, Elio." And with that, he hung up the phone.