Chapter Fifty Eight

Start from the beginning

"What exactly do you want from me," growled Kaelen frustrated.

"I was told you off worlders could love," snapped Ruby.  "I want you to love me like that whore does Jacob.  She follows behind him like an obedient dog."

"Uh huh," nodded Kaelen with his fist clenched.  "And what exactly do you believe you have done to garner my love, admiration or devotion?"

Ruby sucked in a breath, "I did a lot!  I became discreet -."

"Really," inquired Kaelen in bored tones.  "You called that being discreet?"

"Yes," snapped Ruby with an impatient frown.  "You need to get right with your attitude."

Kaelen lips pressed together while he tried to fight a smile, "If that's what you want."  He moved to stand in front of her and cupped her chin so their eyes could meet.  "I could love you," he smirked, "I could love you to death."

Ruby batted his hands away, "Okay I don't really care if you love me but you better start showing me the respect I deserve."

Kaelen chuckled and shook his head.  "If it means that much to you have a contractor come and see what the cost would be to add a small cottage in the gardens for Xara."

"And the baby," asked Ruby skeptically.

"The baby will remain with her," replied Kaelen smoothly as he exited the room.

Ruby's lips curled into a dark frown.  "I see," she whispered before she swirled around to move to the desk she'd had placed where the window seat used to be.  "I definitely see."

****

Silver Light District - The Ward Residence (The Kitchens)

Sebastian tapped his device on the kitchen table while he watched Xara glide around the kitchen as she prepared breakfast.  "So you're pregnant," asked Sebastian for the twelfth time.

"Yes, C-Bass!  I'm pregnant," laughed Xara as she measured than poured four cups of all-purpose flour into a large blue bowl. 

Sebastian scowled as he watched Xara happily grab another bowl from the cupboard.  "And how far along are you," asked Sebastian sulkily.

Xara looked up from the bowl and laughed, "I'll ask Kevin when I see him this afternoon.  Now come here and help me with this."  Xara held out a tray that held a glass container of milk, a cup of sugar, butter, salt and one egg.  "Mix those together so I can hurry with these cinnamon rolls."

"I don't want cinnamon rolls," pouted Sebastian.  "I like apple scones."

Xara laughed and pointed toward a small basket on the counter, "I know that's why I made some for you, Lucca and Mekhi."

Sebastian waved a hand turning all the ingredients into cinnamon rolls, "And there!  You're done!"

"You do remember what Kaelen said," frowned Xara while she stared at the hot plate of gooey cinnamon rolls.

"Just don't tell and plus," chuckled Sebastian while he ran to pick up the basket, "I left the mess you were creating."  Sebastian waved a hand toward Xara, "Lucca and Mekhi are -."

"Before you go," interrupted Kaelen as he walked into the kitchen and frowned at the plate of cinnamon rolls.  "I've arranged for Harmony to bring her stylist here to fix that."  Kaelen picked up a cinnamon roll while he pointed with his other hand at Xara's lopsided ponytail.

"And," sighed Sebastian.

"I have to go on council business so I won't you to stay here and make sure that -."