Chapter 89: As two battles end, another one grows bigger...literally.

Depuis le début

And behind her, expressing their agreement in an energetic manner, a large group of people could be seen. Such group was made of people of different races, all bearing said household's emblem and colors on their armors.

They were the company of soldiers that the Pyr Household specially created in response to the battle that took place five years ago and its consequences.

Thus, seeing the Knights' Orders weakened state and the real possibility of another siege attempt, the current head of such household took it upon herself and used her resources to give training to whoever wished to defend their capital.

Those who were not worthy to be knights.

Those who had never held a weapon or used offensive magic before.

Those who hated their weakness and wanted to be stronger.

Retired mercenaries that felt that they could have done something back then but did not and were seeking atonement.

Casters from a certain magic academy that were not in the Kingdom when such battle happened.

Bards who wished to help and to maybe, someday, not only witness but be part of a battle worth a thousand songs.

And more, so much more.

All were welcomed and trained.

That was Myriel's idea.

To give everyone the chance of learning how to protect their Capital and their way of life.

And her actions obviously pleased her parents, as they took it as a perfect way to gain achievements and maintain their position as nobles.

Nobles that preferred the safety of deskwork rather than being involved with the protection of the country and its citizens, to the disappointment of the now defunct elder of the family.

What her parents did not know was that her actions were a big middle finger to them.

A shout coming from the heart of a girl, a woman, that was hurt by loss.

"We cannot let more sacrifices that break up families happen..."

So murmured Myriel Pyr with a nostalgic tone as the image of a certain young man appeared in her mind.

'You disowned him for wanting to protect others and not be tied down to a desk. You were happy when he was branded traitor...for it justified your rotten ways. You even burned all evidence of him being related to us...and pushed the headship unto me...but he was right! Even if he was an idiot!!'

As those thoughts continued, her gaze grew fiercer and her hand reached out to her neck, grabbing hold of the locket hanging from it...

'He inherited Grandpa's noble spirit! For a true noble is one that not only signs papers for the people, but one who bleeds for them! So, stay there in your mansion, drinking wine and telling your equally rotten friends how proud you are of me, for I have a feeling that when the dust settles, many things will change for good in this Kingdom. And you will not like them.'

...and squeezing it with the strength of her resolution.

It was then that someone who, having overheard her murmur, decided to approach her.

"Indeed, Countess Pyr. I cannot let Lady Argento endanger her family life much longer."

So said such person as he positioned himself beside her, the Shield of the Mountain, Baron Thach.

He was not only wearing heavy armor, but it was branded with the emblem of the Knights' Order he had brought with him, the Order of the Twilight Shield, whose members did not take long to join the ranks of the forces that were about to march into the battlefield.