Chapter Thirty-Three - Outside

Namjoon

I sat and listened to Aster for about an hour. It wasn't as awful as I expected it to be.

She told me how they had been separated and what Li had done to Xander. We discussed the way they fell in love, the wedding, and how they got involved with H-Corp.

All the while she was talking her cat ears were twitching and her tail was gently swaying behind her. I'm pretty sure she didn't even realize it was happening.

I watched her face become animated, flaming red from blushing, and then tear-streaked as she cried over her loss once again.

She truly didn't deserve any of this and I regretted making her go through the hybridization process but I would explain it all to her soon. Maybe she would understand.

"I'm sorry I talked so long," she whispered, her voice hoarse from talking and crying.

I told her I would be right back and walked out to the small fridge in Jimin's clinic.

"Having fun in there?" The leopard in question stood near his counter arranging supplies in his cabinet.

"She needed to talk," I shrugged, grabbing some water from the fridge.

"Is that so? Hyung, I don't mean to be presumptuous-"

"Then don't."

He smirked and tilted his head. "She just lost her husband. Don't be her rebound."

I frowned and looked away, biting the inside of my cheek. "I'm not," I said.

"She's not emotionally ready for something new. Don't set yourself up for heartbreak." He turned back to his supplies and I stalked back to the cell.

The clear lines of authority were getting too blurry lately. I needed to get this place in shape.

I sat back down at the table, handing her the water. She smiled gratefully and took a long drink.

"I think I'm exhausted now," she said, her eyes getting droopy.

"Ah...I'll let you know when Doctor Park says you can go out. Rest well." I stood to my feet and she did as well, though admittedly a bit slower.

She was still being given the hybridization doses and it was taking a toll on her physically. Soon it would be over, though and she would be a simple, white, hybrid cat for the rest of her life.

"Thank you, Namjoon. I may be wrong, and if I am, don't tell me, but I think I have unexpectedly found a friend in you." She yawned and her ears lowered as she did. It was cute.

I smiled and nodded. "I think I like that."

She smiled and her tail drifted up into her hand. She looked at it with a bit of frustration and grabbed it. "I don't think I will ever get used to this thing."

I found myself laughing and shaking my head. "You will, don't worry. I've had mine for a long time. One piece of advice is, be careful slamming doors behind you."

One hand flew to her mouth and her eyes crinkled into small crescents. Her adorable laughter come through once again and I found myself becoming desperate to hear it more often.

"I'll try to keep that in mind," she laughed.

With that I took my leave.

* * *

Narrative

A few days later, Aster was cleared for fresh air. She never realized how good it would feel to step outside into clean, unfiltered air, and sunshine.