Waterdrop's Abandonment

This short story takes place in SnowClan and is about Waterdrop, the daughter of Wavestorm and Smokestar, who appear in previous short stories in this selection, especially the ones mainly about Smokestar. No spoilers for any of my novels here since this is a character that rarely makes an appearance. Enjoy :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Waterkit barely remembered what it was like to be a normal family. Perhaps in that first moon, there had been a bit of a family structure. Her father had always been out of the picture, but her mother was present, and her sisters were too young to have their minds shaped by stupid ideas that their mother, Wavestorm, put into their head.

Wavestorm had told Waterkit and her two other sisters, Featherkit and Snowkit, that their father, Smokestar, was leader. It did not take Waterkit long to find out from Wavestorm that Smokestar was a so-called "bad, cruel tom" who left her for another she-cat Lilywhisker, who was due to give birth any day with his kits.

"Gross. They'll be our half-siblings," Featherkit complained.

"I'm sure we'll look prettier than them," Snowkit stated.

Waterkit didn't understand what was so wrong about Smokestar being in love with another she-cat. She paid attention to how cats acted and what they said around her. In her knowledge, it seemed Wavestorm was the problem in the relationship, not Smokestar himself. She'd heard cats remark how thrilled they were when Smokestar and Lilywhisker became mates. They had been close friends as kits and destined lovers.

Waterkit was more embarrassed to come from this angry, dysfunctional family. She kept quiet for the time being, not participating in her sisters' and mother's hatred toward Lilywhisker and her kin.

The cruelty only seemed to increase when Lilywhisker gave birth. She had given birth to two she-cats, which Featherkit and Snowkit thought made excellent competition. 

"If only Mousekit's pelt weren't splatched with those dark spots. It's not pure white like ours," Featherkit teased.

"And Dawnkit's stripes are too dark for her pelt color," Snowkit added.

"I think their pelts are fine," Waterkit said quietly.

"Says the cat whose pelt looks like Moonstar's," Featherkit sneered. Waterkit had never known of the reign of MoonClan personally since it had occurred when her parents were only apprentices. Some of the cats in clans liked to regard a silver-blue pelt like Waterkit's as bad luck. Waterkit didn't sense what was so wrong with it.

"I'm not like Moonstar at all," Waterkit argued. If anything, she felt she was the exact opposite. She didn't like to take part in the cruel games her sisters played. In fact, she had begun to like Dawnkit and Mousekit. 

However, that day Snowkit and Featherkit turned on their sister. Waterkit was ruthlessly mocked by them, especially for her pelt, which she found unfair. She found much better company with Mousekit and Dawnkit, even though she ruthlessly teased for it and scolded by her mother for playing with those more lowly kits.

The only downside to playing with Mousekit and Dawnkit was when Smokestar would visit. He would acknowledge those two, but never Waterkit herself, and especially not her mother and siblings. Those were the only times when Waterkit sensed the frustration of her mother and sisters. It was clear as day that Smokestar wanted nothing to do with them.

Waterkit didn't let it bring her down though, especially when Dawnkit and Mousekit were humble about it. Sometimes Dawnkit would get a bit too fired up when Featherkit and Snowkit teased them, but Mousekit was always there to calm her down, and Waterkit tried to do the same to her siblings.