Starlight (Shinypelt and Patchfur)

I have had a couple requests for Shining of the Four-related fics. As I mentioned before, I do accept requests for my Warriors Cats Short Stories. I will be completing the first request, which asked for a deeper insight into what Salmon was dreaming about Shinypelt in the novel, which was her relationship with her mate, Patchfur. So here's a cute lil' story about those two. If you haven't read Shining of the Four, feel free to read this. It's a prequel story of sorts, so it doesn't spoil anything past the prologue of the novel. Enjoy :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His eyes fell onto her early into his days in the nursery. While his brother and sister nibbled on his ears and batted at him with their tiny paws, his green eyes stared ahead at the tiny she-cat whose pelt glittered with gold and whose blue eyes lit up the entire den.

His mother was hesitant on letting him play with her, especially when her siblings had outbreaks of angry fits, but he couldn't help but admire the way she proudly strutted around the nursery without a care in the world.

...

Shinykit bit onto her brother, Stormkit's, tail, letting out a growl as she falsely attacked him. He feigned injury and fell on his back while the white and ginger she-cat batted at him with her paws.

"I got you!" she shouted excitedly at the silver-blue tom beneath her paws.

Stormkit giggled alongside her and was ready to raise a paw to bat back at her when a tiny mew sounded from behind the she-cat.

She spun around, noticing one of the many other kits of the nursery. She oftentimes caught him staring at her, though Shinykit didn't even know his name. He was Fernbranch's kit, she knew that, and he had two siblings, just like her, but that was all.

The gray and white tom standing in front of her gazed down at his paws as he spoke.

"Can I play?" he asked quietly.

"Sure!" Shinykit exclaimed, watching his face light up. "What's your warrior name going to be?"

"Huh?"

"We gave ourselves warrior names," Stormkit said beside his sister. "I'm Stormclaw, and she's Shinystar."

"Star?" the kit questioned.

Shinykit grinned. "Well, perhaps it's not a warrior name, but I'm the leader in this scenario."

"I guess I can be Patchfire," he said quietly.

Patchkit, Shinykit thought, grasping onto his name so she wouldn't forget it. 

"Let's play!" she exclaimed.

Despite his timid nature, he made a good playmate. She had fun that afternoon as he joined in, alongside her two brothers. Her mother, Mousestripe, often encouraged her to make friends, but Shinykit always had her brothers to worry about. If they couldn't make friends like her, then she'd stay by their side.

"Come play again tomorrow," Shinykit told Patchkit as he headed back toward his mother.

He quietly nodded and gave her a warm smile.

...

Patchkit enjoyed his afternoon playtime with Shinykit and her siblings. Whatever rumors had circulated about her brothers was false to him. They got along as well as any other kit in the nursery.

He noticed Graykit had been acting a bit off during their playtime, but Patchkit thought nothing of it, especially when the other tom claimed it had just been a stomachache.