A Flawed Leader (Smokestar Part 2)

Hey all! Here's the second and final part to Smokestar's story! Apologies for the delay. It took a bit more effort than normal for me to finish this story.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new era had been reigned into SnowClan with Smokestar as leader. His deputy and brother, Cloudfur, stood proud by his side as he sought to lead the clan in the same proper manner as Icestar had.

Meanwhile, his two daughters were growing and bouncing around the nursery, reminding him every day how lucky he was to have them in his life.

Lilywhisker shared a mouse with Smokestar one morning outside the nursery as Mousekit and Dawnkit played inside.

"Wavestorm and her kits are being nuisance," she told him.

Smokestar frowned. He had hoped that rivalry was over, but he knew Wavestorm had every right to be frustrated when he had left her at the same time she'd fallen pregnant.

"Have you talked to her?" Smokestar asked.

"Yes, but they like to pick fights with Mousekit and Dawnkit. Waterkit is fine, but Snowkit and Featherkit are nasty," Lilywhisker muttered.

He took aside Wavestorm later that today to talk to her, though she didn't seem too thrilled to get attention from him.

"How may I assist you, Smokestar?" she hissed.

"Tell your kits to leave Mousekit and Dawnkit alone," Smokestar told her.

Wavestorm rolled her eyes. "Oh, you mean our kits?! They have every right to be upset that you show those two other kits more affection than them."

"Let them take their anger out on me, not the others," Smokestar told her.

"I can't promise anything," Wavestorm said and stalked off, her tail whipping the air.

...

His kits were able to get some time away from Wavestorm's as Wavestorm's were made apprentices sooner, but soon enough, Mousekit and Dawnkit were Mousepaw and Dawnpaw. Smokestar couldn't be prouder as he made his daughters into apprentices. He knew they'd do well and serve their clan well.

The clan was going to accordingly, but there was something dark lurking. Smokestar could sense it.

His fears came true when one day a powerful wave of pain swept over him. He could feel his energy fleeting, his body growing heavy, and something sinister approaching.

His body collapsed to the ground, only to stand up moments later. Red flashed in his eyes, and a harsh voice came from his mouth.

"At last, I will reign again!" Moonstar's voice rang out through the crowd. Gasps sounded from around, and Lilywhisker, Mousepaw, and Dawnpaw raced toward their possessed father.

"Greetings SnowClan," the false Smokestar sneered. "It seems that your leader is under some stressful circumstances right now."

Lilywhisker took a step forward. "I'll kill you a second time, Moonstar."

"Ah, if it isn't the little apprentice who caused my initial demise. Perhaps my physical body is no more, but I'm still here in spirit. The Dark Forest lives on."

"Give Smokestar back!" Mousepaw hissed.

Smokestar turned his head. "Ah, it seems you two have been busy in the time I've been gone. Your daughter, I presume?"

Lilywhisker took a step forward and unsheathed her claws. "Get out of his body," she sneered. She launched at the tom, but Moonstar only laughed.

"It's pitiful. Whatever you do to him will affect him. If you try to kill me, you'll kill him. It won't work that way."